NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Beco Gemini or Ergo for plus-size parents?

My first post! Since my DGD was born 6.5 years ago, baby gear has definitely changed! My second DGC is due in July and I'm starting to research carriers (and lots of other things).

A couple of questions:
    1. Is the Beco Gemini or Ergo more comfortable for plus-size parents? If the Ergo, any particular models?
    2. Where have you seen these carriers in person? BRU, Walmart, etc are the main baby gear resources near my family, but I'd like them to be able to try before I buy.

Thanks!

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm pretty petite and use the Ergo but my DH has a very wide frame (his blazers are 48") and he can use it too. With the original Ergo, you can get hip extenders if you need to make them longer; I believe the Ergo Performance you cannot.

I have never tried/seen the Gemini though, let alone in a mainstream baby store. Maybe if there is a baby boutique or specialty store near you, you could try it. Ergo, they carry at BuyBuyBaby and I think some BRU's might have them in the store too. Both of these are good carriers though and I feel like with ANY carrier, there is some getting used to. Hopefully others can chime in on the Gemini for you.

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Although I'm not technically plus sized I'm not a petite thing either. My DH is a big guy..6'6" and close to 300 pounds. We have an Ergo that works well for both of us.
    For DD2 we got Hug-a-bub wrap to try and it is great. Both of us can use it comfortably. There is a learning curve and the whole idea is a bit intimidating but once you have put it on a couple of times it is really very easy.
    I prefer the wrap to the Ergo for the first few months because I feel like the baby is more secure.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Can you check out a babywearing group near you? They'll be your best resources for trying before you buy. Visit the message boards at thebabywearer.org and look at the "Local" section to find out if there are any groups meeting near you.

Also, take the QuirkyBaby Carrier Quiz at:

http://quirkybaby.com/pages/QuirkyBabyQuiz.html

Jane (the owner) will walk you through carrier options (via e-mail) to help you figure out if you're looking at the right stuff. I have met and worked with her IRL and think she's super-sweet and love how knowledgeable she is!

The Beco and Ergo brands are more boutique-y brands (though BRU did start carrying the Ergo online) so it's tougher to find them in places where babywearing might not be as commonplace.

As for plus-size people, well ... it depends on how "plus sized" the people you're talking about are.

The original Ergo, which has a hip belt that extends to 43" does have an 8" hip belt extender (so, extended, it's 51".)

Because the buckles are different on the Performance carrier, it's not compatible; but ... the Performance maxes out at 48", so a lot of people who needed the extender with the Original won't need it with the Performance.

The Ergo Sport's waist belt extends up to 48" and the shoulders have an additional 4" of slack as well. I am not 100% that these are not compatible with the waist-belt extender like the Performance. I would ask Jane or another babywearing guru.

The biggest drawback to the Ergo is that until Baby can hold his/her head up on his/her own, you must use an insert. The new insert (Heart 2 Heart) is a little tricky to use and it is VERY bulky. For a July baby, I wouldn't get an Ergo with the intention that the parents will use it right away. Especially down South.

The Gemini, on the other hand, fits up to 57" hips without an extender, does not require an infant insert (you can snug the body of the carrier up to ensure Baby is secure) and can extend its shoulder straps up to 45". It might look disproportionate on a bigger person, though.

Honestly, I'd actually recommend a BabyHawk Mei Tei instead, which is what my BFF (who lives in NC) used for her May-born DS, though I don't know how well it's suited to a newborn.

I agree with a PP that the wrap is my go-to for the newborn phase.

For a summer baby, I recommend a woven wrap, like the GypsyMama Bali Breeze or EllaRoo, over a stretchy wrap like the Moby Wrap because the woven fabric breathes a bit better.

The woven wrap will have a bigger learning curve than the stretchy one, but it's easier to snug the baby up close to the body without having to readjust it often.

As a testament to it's practicality, I used my EllaRoo through the entire (hot, humid NJ) summer with my DD (still use it on hot days) and really appreciate its versatility when I need something my Ergo doesn't do. (Video tips on how to use a woven wrap are available on the GypsyMama/Wrapsody channel on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/WrapsodyBaby)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I am plus sized and have an Ergo (not sure which model, I think it is just the regular model if there is one). I really like it. My DH is skinny and it is easy to adjust between the two of us. It is very comfortable. DD is 10 months old and I still wear her from time to time (she is very large, 22lbs) and it is still comfortable for front wearing. I don't notice her at all if I wear her on my back, but I can't get her in it on my back when I am by myself.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post
    I am plus sized and have an Ergo (not sure which model, I think it is just the regular model if there is one). I really like it. My DH is skinny and it is easy to adjust between the two of us. It is very comfortable. DD is 10 months old and I still wear her from time to time (she is very large, 22lbs) and it is still comfortable for front wearing. I don't notice her at all if I wear her on my back, but I can't get her in it on my back when I am by myself.
    I back-wear my DD all the time & have no trouble with loading her in or getting her out safely. It took some practice and one babywearing consultation.

I use the hip-scoot method; do you know how to do that? I don't know if I could accurately describe it in words, though, or else I'd offer to spell it out for you.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle