Default Did you use diapers after PT?

Did you use diapers for naps and sleeping after PT or did you use pull-ups? Do you think it makes a difference? DD generally doesn't want a diaper, so I'm not really that concerned about having diapers in the house but I'm wondering if I should expect this to change. I'm trying to plan ahead on whether to get more diapers for nap time/bedtime or whether I should start stocking up on pull ups. She's still in a crib, so no chance of her needing to get up on her own to potty, if that makes a difference.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DD is fully potty trained, still in a crib, and no diapers or pull-ups. She calls for us if she needs to pee or poop while napping or sleeping at night.

Right before a nap I take DD to the potty, and as I lay her down I remind her to call for me if she needs to pee. As soon as she wakes up she calls for me, and I take her potty again. There were a handful of times in the beginning of PT where she would have an accident, but I honestly can't remember the last time she had an accident during nap time.
    For bedtime, the ritual is about the same.....take her potty right before bed and then remind her to call for us if she needs to pee. If she had something to drink too close to bedtime we will wake her up as we are going to bed and take her potty again. She'll sleep through the night (about 98% of the time) and wake us in the morning when she has to pee. She does have an accident from time to time, but it's usually on nights that she had too much to drink in the evening or is completely exhausted from playing and doesn't wake up when she feels the urge.

The potty training method I used said no diapers or pull ups after starting PT because it will confuse them.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

DD doesn't wake up dry in the morning. I'm not sure about naps because she's either at daycare or DH is taking care of her. She can (and does) hold it when she wakes up now rather than peeing in her diaper in the morning after waking. I'd like to keep her in something waterproof until she is reliably waking dry. If anything is going to cause confusion it's her daycare's policy on PT. I wish they'd be more helpful, but she's doing really well at home and out on the town in trainers despite being in diapers at daycare.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I use pull-ups for nighttime, but not nap. I just find it easier. And I re-use them.

Younger DD only wakes up dry about half the time and I just don't have the energy to deal with nighttime accidents. But if we put on her PJs at say, 7, and she doesn't go to bed until 7:30, she won't pee in the pull-up, she will use the bathroom. But for some kids, they just pee in the pull-up if it is on. So you have to know your kid.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm using pull up diapers at night. She nearly always wakes up dry and uses the potty in the morning. I keep telling her that she can wear her big girl underwear to bed if she sleeps in her own bed (you know, the one with the waterproof mattress), but she'd rather wear a diaper of any kind and sleep in mine.

We still have regular diapers in her size, but she does struggle to get those off in time sometimes, so the pull ups are the way to go for us. I reuse them, too, since she rarely has an accident and only uses them at night.
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We use regular diapers for nighttime. We mostly CD so we're still using those, I think pull-ups in our case are an unnecessary expense.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

ormc is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

We just potty trained DS2 and used a method that recommends not using pullups or diapers at all after PT. But he is a heavy sleeper and I'd come in the morning to get him out of his crib and he'd be soaked...but he'd been laying in it so long it had already started to dry! He just isn't able to wake up yet when he pees at night (he's young, won't turn 2 till the end of the month).

So to keep with the "no diaper" theme that seems to motivate him, I bought a few pairs of cloth trainers to wear to bed at night only. They look and feel like underpants (although bulky because he's a heavy wetter and I don't want leaks) so he doesn't realize he's in a diaper at night. I plan to keep him in these until he starts waking up dry or we feel he's a bit older and ready to try again.

I cross my fingers every day at naptime - he rarely has an accident now - if I make him go before the nap he's been waking up dry and holding it until I get him out of the crib.

Its tough...Good luck!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We used pull ups once DD was potty trained for about the first month if we knew we were going to be out of the house for more than an hour (although we never had an accident). DD wore pull ups at nap also for about the first year after she was trained. She is still in them at night. It's not a fight I wish to pick and if it doesn't embarrass DD then we are fine with it too. DD did use Fuzzi Bunz cloth diapers at night for a long time in hopes that it would help night train her, but she eventually grew out of those and we went to pull ups.

DD usually has nothing to drink past 7 pm, and is on the potty at least once after that before bedtime at 8 pm and still wakes up wet so she is just a heavy wetter.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We started out using diapers at night, but DS did NOT appreciate that. So we went to pull ups at night. He prompted the "try it with underwear" at night thing and we've been pullup free ever since.

Now pullups are an incentive for him to NOT have to get up too often after he goes to bed. He knows if he gets up more than 2 times to go potty, he has to wear a pull up to bed.

It never confused potty training for him.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS is in underpants for nap and diapers/pull ups at night. He usually has pee in the diaper/pull up by the morning and he sleeps through the night every night. He's a very heavy sleeper and wakes up at night maybe once every 6 months or so. We are just finishing our last box of diapers now, so he'll be in pull ups at night from here on out until he doesn't need them.