Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Finding a psychiatrist for medication management

We are wanting to do a trial of meds with DD. What do you look for in a psychiatrist?

Part of our problem is that she does not technically "qualify" for any particular disorder. She has aspects of anxiety and ADHD, as well as some social deficits and physical/verbal tics. So we also need someone to tease out what meds would really help her the most. But it is becoming pretty clear that therapy alone is not the answer for her.

Thanks!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Make sure you look for someone who is a CHILD psychiatrist, rather than one who mostly works with adults. They are much more tuned into the meds that will benefit your child and are much more aware of the potential dangers that using some of the meds can have on children (as they are often times not really intended for children). I am also generally not a fan of seeking psychiatric meds from pediatricians/ GPs. I like seeking out meds/ treatment from the type of doctor that specializes in that area.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Yes, I agree! I have a list of psychiatrists from DD's therapist. But it's a list of 10 people and I am wondering how to compare one to another.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It's these kind of issues that make me happy to live in a big metropolitan area. I have a friend whose DD has Aspergers and there are no Child Psychs in here area so she has to drive nearly an hour and a half each way to get her treatment.
    Good Luck!

ETA- have you looked on DC Urban Moms? They can be snarky but there is good information on there.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

From personal experience I'd look for some other recommendations from parents, I'd look for someone who has experience with your child's type of situation and who believes in medications AND therapy and is open to either/both being a short or long term solution (IME some folks think that therapy alone or meds alone or meds for a short period only or meds forever are the ONLY answer and IME there is wide variation).

A pediatric psychiatrist is really difficult to find so it could take some time (there is a national shortage). I would at least work initially with one to get the right meds etc going -- maybe for an "eval"

/hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

OK just read your last post. I am sure you are doing this but I'd google them or look them up in pub med -- if they are published you can get a sense of what they are focused on. You can also likely scare up some resumes or background on them. I'd look for someone who has >10 years of experience. I am biased to someone who was trained in a more well known institute (but am from Boston so have been brain washed). The reality is that even since you have a list not all of them might accept patients so I might call around all of them and see what you have to chose from before getting excited about someone only to find out they do not take new patients.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

It's these kind of issues that make me happy to live in a big metropolitan area. I have a friend whose DD has Aspergers and there are no Child Psychs in here area so she has to drive nearly an hour and a half each way to get her treatment.
    Sadly, there are not even that many in our area. Many are also not accepting new patients.

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Sadly, there are not even that many in our area. Many are also not accepting new patients.
    If they tell you they aren't taking new patients see if your current doctor/therapist can get you in. I am seeing a great neurologist at Hopkins that I only got an appointment with when another neuro called his office.

Does your therapist have any recommendations? Is there a clinic/practice associated with a medical school? You don't want to see a resident, but here, its a pretty sure bet that docs associated with the U are going to be good.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Yes, I agree! I have a list of psychiatrists from DD's therapist. But it's a list of 10 people and I am wondering how to compare one to another.
    Ask your psychologist for recommendations. In my experience, any psychologist who works with children has experience with child psychiatrists. If your psych doesn't know anyone, ask her to consult with her colleagues. Professional opinion, or word-of-mouth, may be your best lead. Apart from doing that, I would look for someone who intends to spend more than 15 minutes talking to you and your DD as there are a fair number who do that sort of thing. I would also at least consider psychiatrists who may be out of network as many of the best psychiatrists no longer accept insurance, at least in the NYC metro area. Another possibility may be to use a child psychiatrist affiliated with a university training program who teaches. They are often the most current with the cutting edge of knowledge and research. Good luck.
    Last edited by vludmilla; 02-17-2011 at 09:44 PM.
    DD '06
    DD '14

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast