Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by MizMojoLaveau View Post
    OP, did you consider having the nuchal translucency (NT) testing to determine odds of genetic abnormalities prior to deciding on an amnio? I just had the NT testing done (done btwn 11-13 weeks) and it was not invasive--just 2 blood tests paired with an ultrasound. I am told that I will get 90% accurate results that can help me decide if I want to go on with an amnio. Just a thought since the amnio might be very stressful.
    We had this with DS and I have another planned with #2. It isn't invasive at all, and I liked it as a starting point for deciding on whether or not more testing should be done. Our docs all refer to it as First Trimester Screening...but it is the same test described above.

janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MizMojoLaveau View Post
    OP, did you consider having the nuchal translucency (NT) testing to determine odds of genetic abnormalities prior to deciding on an amnio? I just had the NT testing done (done btwn 11-13 weeks) and it was not invasive--just 2 blood tests paired with an ultrasound. I am told that I will get 90% accurate results that can help me decide if I want to go on with an amnio. Just a thought since the amnio might be very stressful.
    Hello - yes I will be doing this at 11-12 wks. I did it last time with DD as well. My dr. mentioned I can do this and stop, or proceed with amnio based on the numbers or proceed with the amnio even if numbers are ok (I assume this is due to my age). The only piece that is skipped due to amnio is the AFP (quad?) screening as it would be duplicative. I may have some of the terms wrong..I don't have the sheet in front of me. I guess I just want to be prepared in case amnio becomes an option I choose after the NT /nuchal testing. My dr. already gave me the referrals,etc.

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you wanted an answer earlier, you can do a chorionic villus sampling (CVS) which is done earlier in pregnancy than amnio (10-12 weeks, similar to nuchal translucency). I did NT & amnio with my first, but went straight to CVS for my second. CVS screens for major genetic abnormalities, but doesn't detect neural tube defects. But then you could do the AFP screen later to rule those out. Much less stressful to make decisions and wait on announcing the pregnancy if you find out in the first vs. second trimester.

I wouldn't worry about not taking the prenatal vitamins, spina bifida is pretty rare especially if you were eating a balanced diet. Lack of symptoms in first trimester is totally normal--enjoy it while you can. And lots of women are having children later nowadays with good outcomes--around where I live, I think 38 is probably average to young! Seems like all the moms around here are 40 and up! Congrats and best wishes for a smooth and healthy pregnancy!
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2