robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Steam mops and old wood floors?

So, I love the idea of a steam mop (I have my eye on the Haan light one), but are these safe on wood floors? Not modern ones - old ones refinished with polyurethane? (1930's house) What about new, real linoleum (not vinyl) flooring - sheet, not the click stuff?

I'm sure the mop is ok on the vinyl (ugh) in the kitchen, old hex tile in the bath (correct me if I'm wrong on that one...), and I'm pretty sure it's ok for the sheet lino -at least for occasional use. The upstairs floors have been done recently and I feel pretty ok about them, too, but the main floor have been sanded much more (we'll have to replace them when the kids are older, too many drum belt sanders, I think - only 1/4" or so left), have some gapping between boards, more wear, chunks missing, etc. (I'd love to replace them now, but DD2 is still into her wheely bug and I want to wait 'til that is done).

????

Also, for the first gross go-thru on each floor, can I attach a regular, cheap microfiber cloth from Costco somehow and toss it when done? If so, any ideas on how?

We just recently replaced all our carpet with hardwood floors...the sand, buff, polyurethane on site kind. We had some hardwoods in some rooms and needed it to match so had some existing floors sanded and re-polyed to match. Anyway, the floor installer said the steam mops are the worst thing to use on wood floors. I have heard that from other hardwood installers as well. I guess it is too much moisture for the floors?? Not sure why, I didn't question him on it just took his advice and won't use it on any of our wood floors.

On another note, I know a lot people love their steam mops but I tried the shark one and was not impressed at all. We also have porcelain tile in bathrooms and kitchen which is where I tried it. I didn't feel it got my floors clean enough. I do have dogs and one child so maybe my floors get a bit dirtier from the dogs. I do have a Hoover carpet and hard floor cleaner and love it. It is heavy and loud but scrubs the tile clean. It can be used on carpet as well. I wouldn't use it on wood either.

I would NOT use one on wood floors. Water will get into the wood and make it warp. We had a terribly warped floor in our old (1920s) house from where the floors had gotten wet.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11