PMJ is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default How do you keep track of 'it all"?

I currently have a Calendar on the fridge (for our Menu). Have another list (for each day) of general 'cleaning' to get done each day. I feel like I need 1000000 lists... Where do you put all these things?

How do you keep track of when you changed the sheets, when you changed the toothbrushes, when you cut your hair, when you replaced make-up? You get my drift... I have no idea where to keep all these things written down. (I have a terrible memory).

Have a super lg desk calendar and tape it to the fridge? Put everything on there in different colors?

Hmm, i'm lost..

thanks
    -------------------------
    Thanks for your time!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Not sure if this is possible for you, but when I got my iphone it saved my life. I keep everything on the calendar which is synced up to my DH's calendar. That way he can plan his work trips around important kid appointments and activities. I also put on there when I need to remember to change furnace filters, when to start thinking about making dentist and doctors appointments, etc. I also have a list of stuff on the calendar that's my to do list. If I don't get things done that day, I change the date on the list to the next day and mark them off the list as things get done. I love that my iphone is always with me so I can make follow up appointments while I'm still at the hair stylist's or doctors's office. It really helps.

There is a notebook feature on there where I keep a list for the grocery store, a list for Target, a list of orders I'm waiting on being shipped, list of returns I need to make sure we are credited for, a list of birthday and Xmas gift ideas, etc. Pretty much anything I think of randomly during the course of my day, I put on the iphone notepad.

Also, I think a regular schedule really helps. If you get into a habit of changing yours and your kids' sheets every Wednesday, you won't have to remember. Wednesday will come and you'll know it's change-the-sheets day. Thursday is wash-the-whites day. Any white laundry gets done that day. Those are just examples but essentially having a regular routine allows you to not have to think about when things get done.

ETA: of course, if you don't have a smart phone, you could keep an appointment book with you. You would write down in their every thing that needs to get done and on which date. You could keep a post-it note with your To Do list and just stick it to the next day when you dont' get everything done. You just need to make sure you review it each night with your spouse's calendar to make sure you are both on the same page.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 02-18-2011 at 12:29 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

bigsis is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yahoo calendar! That's where everything is for our household: parties, drs appointments, PTA meetings, school projects due, playdates... need I go on

As for Target and Costco lists, I have a small notebook in my purse at all times. I start a list and tear off the page as soon as I finish shopping for it.

My weekly "menu" is in an Excel spreadsheet. If I have no access to it when I think of something, I put it in my little notebook and add to when I do have access.

Same with furnace and oil changes, it's in the Yahoo calendar.

Haircuts are not priority here, so we just go when we start looking like crap

I don't replace my makeup when I'm "supposed to." I replace as needed.

I don't do general cleaning per se. I'm all about maintenance. If you wipe a spill right away, it won't get worse. My DH is the deep cleaner around here---no schedule though. He dusts and vacuums every 3-4 weeks, I'm ok with that.

HTH!

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think figuring out how you work best is key. Are you better with a visual list on the fridge or can you look at a list on a device a few times/day and work off that?

We use Google Calendar (computer, smart phone, ipod Touch) and Remember the Milk (to do lists, shopping lists, household/personal chores). DH is a RTM addict, and he's super-efficient.

I tend to put things on my calendar so I know when to do them. He has all his tasks repeating. Daily he has stuff like kid meds, on certain days, things like trash or recycling, changing sheets, etc. He'll even put things like when he needs to call someone.

I like some of the other lists Lisa has - like checking on return crediting, when to schedule appts. etc. Those things sneak up on me.

PMJ is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

All great points. I do not have an I-pad, I-phone or anything fancy, nor do I want one. I like thinks large and big and like to see things up close and personal. It drives DH nuts, b/c he thinks i"m not changing w/the times.

I might go w/ the Lg calendar on the fridge, though I'm hesitant b/c then when guests come over -- our laundry (so to speak) is out for all to see! LOL

THANKS!
    -------------------------
    Thanks for your time!

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I can help with the makeup. Or at least mascara (the only one I really change "on time").

I had read long ago that you should change your mascara every 3mos, so do it on the first day of the new season. First day of spring, new mascara!

I know most makeups have an expiration on them now (little pic w/number of mos on it) but this does not help me AT ALL. If it says it "expires" 6mos after opening, then I have to remember when I opened it. Not happening. I will chuck them when I realize I haven't worn them in a while, or when I realize, "Oh, I bought this for someone's wedding that was 5 years ago - better dump it."
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

iCal on the iMac, and also this:

http://www.amazon.com/2011-Knapps-Fa...xp_grid_pt_1_0

Has a line for dinner plans, and enough room for lots of junk.

For toothbrushes, I look up when the last dental appt was and go 3 months out, 'cause you get a new one from the dentist every 6 months.

Don't wear enough make-up to worry about that, but for rotating the mattress, and a whole lotta other stuff the season thing will be great. I'll have to use that one.

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PMJ View Post
    All great points. I do not have an I-pad, I-phone or anything fancy, nor do I want one. I like thinks large and big and like to see things up close and personal. It drives DH nuts, b/c he thinks i"m not changing w/the times.

I might go w/ the Lg calendar on the fridge, though I'm hesitant b/c then when guests come over -- our laundry (so to speak) is out for all to see! LOL

THANKS!
    I use the Yahoo calendar. I like that I can access it at home and at my very PT job. Also can access it when visiting friends and relatives. I do always print out a paper copy and put it on the fridge. I email important dates to DH and he does likewise. I don't have a smartphone, so when I am out I just wing it, or call later to make follow up appointments. I have a small paper datebook but I haven't been using it in the same way since I started the Yahoo calendar, so I will probably give that up next year. I will miss how simple it was though!

We had not changed the vacuum filters in years and now that we finally did, I am thinking I will just write it on the filter. It really helps me to have stuff written down where I need it.

A lot of the stuff you describe does not get done in a timely fashion here!
    -Pam

DD: 6 YO
    DS: 3 YO

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Not sure if it would fit your needs but I like the Motivated Moms system. It is like 8 bucks? I print it out and keep it in a binder on my desk in the kitchen. It helps DH and I know what needs done each day. It doesn't include every possible chore, but leaves spaces for you to add your own chores/to do items. It includes things weekly like clip children's nails. Once per week it adds on things like sweep off front porch or tackle a hot spot for clutter in your kitchen for 15 mins. it also has daily items up (clean countertops, wipe down sinks, etc.)

You can purchase/print different formats-page a day, page per week, etc. If you want to add things like your furnace filters (can't remember if that's already built into MMs system), you could just print out your page per week and schedule it in as needed in the blank spots.

http://www.motivatedmoms.com/products.html
    Last edited by brittone2; 02-20-2011 at 05:08 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010