♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default overactive gag reflex??

is this possibly a side effect of pregnancy? i am having a horrible time with this now that i'm well into the 3rd trimester. even mild coughing ONCE makes me gag. swallowing a pill (had to take abx 2x a day for a sinus infection) makes me gag. certain tastes/smells makes me gag. it's to the point where the gagging sensation is so strong i have sit or lie down for a minute or two to prevent from actually throwing up.

the strange thing is i never had this with my first pregnancy at all, and i had bad morning sickness with that pregnancy too. even in this pregnancy, when i had really bad morning sickness (first 20 weeks) i didn't really have this gagging problem, just overall nausea/vomiting. but now this gagging thing is really getting to me, as it can happen anywhere, randomly. it's annoying and frustrating.

i don't know, my personal theory is that it might have to do with my insides being so incredibly squished right now, but i'm no doctor so i don't know. i've been measuring about 1 month ahead of schedule (lots of fluid and baby is big) and i'm definitely been in major discomfort for the past few weeks (heartburn, lots of pressure in my chest, feeling VERY strong kicks/stretches all the time, trouble sleeping at night). several times a day my DD stretches/kicks so hard i feel like i'm going to pop. i can't believe i have at least 6 weeks left!!

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

My gag reflex is much more sensitive when I'm pregnant. Normally it takes a lot to make me gag, but when pregnant the slightest thing sets off the reflex. If my toothbrush touches the back of my tongue, I gag. If I walk by a fresh doggie poop pile I about loose my lunch. If I have any sinus drainage at all (which is common with my allergies) I'm gagging left and right.

At least you're almost at the finish line!
    Jen

Quote Originally Posted by s7714 View Post
    My gag reflex is much more sensitive when I'm pregnant. Normally it takes a lot to make me gag, but when pregnant the slightest thing sets off the reflex. If my toothbrush touches the back of my tongue, I gag. If I walk by a fresh doggie poop pile I about loose my lunch. If I have any sinus drainage at all (which is common with my allergies) I'm gagging left and right.
    I had gagging when pregnant with DD which ended after the 1st trimester. With this pregnancy, it's continued on into the 2nd trimester, but I've had a lot more food aversions and drainage which has really aggravated it. I wish I had a trick up my sleeve, but I haven't found anything that really helps!

I definitely have this symptom. I had it with my son and am having it again now. I'm at 8 weeks, and it's getting worse. Brushing my teeth is a major pain, and swallowing pills is really tough. When not pregnant, my gag reflex isn't bad at all.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thx for the replies everyone. yes, sinus issues * definitely* aggravate it, and the coughing doens't help. i've almost totally recovered from the sinus stuff/coughing but still i feel like i'm gagging left and right. i just can't wait till i finish these antibiotics, cuz swallowing these horse pills majorly sucks (and i've never had issues with swallowing pills)

i guess i didn't realize how much the sinus drainage can also effect this whole gagging thing..i never had a problem with colds/allergies & gagging when i was not pregnant. i guess it can affect kids too though.. my DS & I were both sick for a good 2-3 weeks with a cold followed by sinus/ear infections, and my DS also lost his appetite and was coughing/gagging A LOT at mealtimes. at first i thot he just didn't like the taste of the food but today realized he hasn't gagged like that since he got better from the cold, and he has so much better appetite overall now.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 02-19-2011 at 11:39 PM.