Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default My Maclaren Starck Review

You can’t find much online about the Maclaren Starck, but pretty much everything you find has someone comparing it to the Volo so I thought I’d write my review as a Starck vs. Volo comparison. They are both non-reclining Maclaren strollers that have some features that recommend them for travel and right now they are in about the same price range, but that is pretty much where the similarities end. Here is a list of the differences.

Why you might like the Volo better:
    • the Starck has unlinked toggle brakes (since it was made in 2006) while current Volos have linked central lever brakes (I actually find the central lever kind of annoying, but would prefer linked brakes)
    • the Volo has a basket, which might be better for plastic grocery bags or loose shopping items
    • the Volo has shorter handles and they are the typical Maclaren foam grips, the Starck has funky smooth rubbery handles, which I really like, but you may not
    • the Volo seat fabric is removable while the fabric on the Starck is not
    • the Volo has a nicer more comfortable harness, while the Starck has a thick and stiff harness with a difficult bulky buckle (I do not like the Starck harness, but on the up side it doesn’t have that complicated press from both sides mechanism so might be easier for caregivers to figure out)
    • both strollers have hammocky seats, but I feel like the Volo may have a more upright seat overall
    • the Volo is about 4 lbs lighter (9 lbs vs. 13 lbs?)
    • the Volo has a smaller fold
    • my Starck is sticky to open and close in comparison the Volo, but probably silicone spray could fix that
    • the wheels on the Volo are more rounded/curved and that may make for slightly better push and steering
    • my Starck is more florescent than it looks in stock photos, I suspect the other colors are as well, so the available colors may not be for everyone
    • the Volo has a carry strap
    • the Volo can accept the Maclaren universal bumper bar, but the Starck can't because of the way the fabric is integrated with the frame

Why I like the Starck better:
    • the awesome SHELF that you can put your diaper bag on so that it stabilizes your stroller rather than making it tippy, love the shelf
    • its gorgeous good looks loved by both moms and kids – yesterday another kid on the bus told his mom that he wanted DS’s stroller
    • taller seat back for a taller child (I measured 22.5 inches, but it could be more once a child was sitting in it)
    • taller handles for a taller parent – I love the handle design, comfortable to hold if you’re not too tall, but then they just keep on going
    • the larger chunkier wheels make it easier going over bumps (my Volo gets stuck in cracks in the sidewalk) and I still think the steering is great
    • it comes with a rain cover (my Volo didn’t) - note: the rain cover connects to the stroller in a starck-specific way so not a univesal one at all
    • it comes with a really nice travel bag, this bag is much higher quality than the free bag I got with the Blink and also large enough that I imagine it could fit pretty much any umbrella stroller
    • no need for hinge covers – I love the sleek straight line design of the hinges
    • more reclined seat seems like it would cradle kids better for napping
    • reflective accents on the hood and seat
    • travel-friendly materials – the hood is made out of some kind of raincoat material and I feel confident that the whole stroller could get drenched and be completely fine and dry very quickly (I guess the Volo has this too, but I like the materials of the Starck better)
    • the wheels don’t touch the canopy when folded
    • the Starck has a carry handle (I prefer that, personal preference)
    • the Starck has a peekaboo window
    • the Starck canopy is also bigger - 20 inches (or 24 if you include the peekaboo window) vs. the Volo's 18 inches
    • you do not have to remember to collapse the Starck canopy before folding the stroller, the canopy will collapse on its own during folding

Bottom line: I love the Starck. I love the shelf. I think this is so much more functional for traveling than a basket and am willing to forgo the lighter weight and smaller fold of the Volo to get it. I also love that it is tall child and tall parent friendly because, you know, tall kids often have tall parents. While the Volo is great for tall kids, it has a really low handle height. I also prefer the handling of the Starck outside. And I think it is gorgeous. Plus it comes with great accessories. What a great deal. I it.

I hope this review helps someone. Even if you're not buying, I know there is a lot of curiosity about the stroller.

Thought I would do some Strollerqueen-esque dimensions for you. I'm not an expert measurer, but here they are.

Weight 13.5 lbs
    Seat to Canopy 26.5 inches
    Seat back 22.5 inches
    Seat width 12.25 inches
    Seat depth 9 inches
    Drop to footrest 7.5 inches
    Seat to ground 14.5 inches
    Width 17.5 inches
    Length 28.5 inches (wheel base)
    Height 44 inches
    Folded Dimensions 44L x 9.5W x 10H
    Last edited by Multimama; 02-26-2011 at 09:09 PM.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Awesome review!

Pics please!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Quote Originally Posted by arivecchi View Post
    Awesome review!

Pics please!
    Working on it.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Lol, b/c of your avatar, I was going to ask you to write a review. It's so nice that you read my mind. I really, really like that shelf. Is it dumb to say that even though I am on my last child, I have been drooling over this stroller, b/c of the shelf. #1 things I hate about macs is the basket, and this shelf design would be SUCH an upgrade IMO to the dinky basket, so that an actual diaper bag can sit IN it, and not have to be draped over. I have a mac techno and have a stroller stand for it, that is ok if I remember to use it, b/c I hate how tipy the mac is and the dinky basket. I would rank my old chicco london higher than my mac in many ways b/c of this. I'm just pissed that albee baby increased the price up from $50. I was actually going to buy it, but when they raised the price, I backed off. Now, I'm just watching again to see if the price goes back down. Which color did you get? Also, does it come with a shoulder strap like the volo does?
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

What is a stroller stand? I'm intrigued.

I know it's annoying that Albee raised the price, but I was wondering if maybe the $49.99 was a pricing error. They used to be on sale for $149.99, so it's possible someone left off the 1 at the front. I still think $74.99 is a great price, if that sways you at all.

It doesn't have a shoulder strap (what I call the carry strap in the review), but it does have a handle and I really like the handle.

I got the nectarine (orange), but I kind of wish I had bought two when the price was $50. I really wanted the purple one!

ETA: The shelf is why I wanted one too. I just love it. And I think this is so much better for travel because you can put something really hefty, like a fully-loaded backpack (or maybe a Radian??? ) on there.
    Last edited by Multimama; 02-20-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Never heard about this stroller! Thanks for this review!!
    Could not find decent pics of the shelve. What exactly is the difference in comparisan with a basket ? (Hope thats not a stupid question.)

My stroller stand is like a bike kickstand. It is attached to one side of my stroller and when I need it, it comes down like an upside down V, pretty much like a bike kickstand. It works well, except that it is heavy (adds at least a lb, if not more) and I have tripped over the stand before, b/c I forget that I have it open, lol.

OMG, I am totally lusting over this stroller. Here is my situation. We are going to WDW in Dec. My P&T is out, just too big, combi double is not going to work (worked well in past, b/c DS1 and DS2 were close in wt when they were younger, now there is a 20 lbs wt diff btwn DS2 and DS3, DS1 won't ride), b/c I think DS2 (will be 6 yrs old, but I KNOW he will tire out at the parks) is too big, I have my mac techno and I have a chicco london at my mom's house. DS2 can use the techno, and DS1 could use the chicco, but I cannot stop thinking about this stroller. My techno is not the ideal travel stroller. I think I am going to get the purple stark (As a mom of 3 boys, who bought all her strollers 5 yrs ago, I feel like I missed out on all the fun colors), and we will use that our as travel stroller. When DS2 is 7, I know he won't need to ride anymore, but he still will for our upcoming WDW trip and DS3 is still a toddler, so we'll still get in a good 4 yrs. I would actually sell or give my techno to one of my sil's if I think the stark is a good replacement. The shelf is just so attractive to me, to be able to stick a big bag down there and not have to fight with the stroller or try to hang and constantly unhang it would be sooo nice! Plus, none of my kids sleep in strollers, it's such a waste that I have strollers that recline and I've tried the volo and can't get over how cheapy it feels, maybe it is b/c I had a techno first. Hmm, I think I am going to spring for the purple, it's soooo nice, and I don't care if it's bright, I'd love to have a non-blah looking stroller that makes heads turn at this point. It's so bad that I basically have resisted getting a new stroller for DS3 and well, of all things I can't believe I'm falling for another umbrella stroller. My DH will probably end up liking this stroller, just b/c he loves anything that looks ultra-modern, lol.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Well, that didn't take too much convincing. I ordered the purple one! Can't wait to get it and try it out. My DH is going to roll his eyes, but considering that I didn't buy anything new for DS3, except for some clothes, he can't complain.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

All these lightweight strollers have me so tempted lately. I would need to sell my Topaz before buying a new lightweight though. Maybe when I get back to WA I'll list the Topaz again on CL. Now that all the overstock sales are gone I can get most of my money back.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyloxs View Post
    All these lightweight strollers have me so tempted lately. I would need to sell my Topaz before buying a new lightweight though. Maybe when I get back to WA I'll list the Topaz again on CL. Now that all the overstock sales are gone I can get most of my money back.
    This is OT, but how come you don't like your topaz? I had kicked myself for not taking advantage of the overstock sale of the cybex, but that was before we knew we were going to WDW and I'd need two strollers, one that can handle a 6 yr old.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast