JGib is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default Best medium/large clear containers for attic toy storage

Ok, I need to start storing some toys in the attic in clear containers. I will consider opaque ones and label if someone really thinks they have something great.

I usually go through the kids toys and sell what they are too old for, but there are just a few I would like to keep for when they have kids & I am a grandma...some classics like my tupperware shape sorter and our thomas wooden railroad stuff (that still has a few more years). I'd want to use a medium sealed container for things like a bunch of wooden track so it didn't get too heavy, but for bulkier/lighter toys I would use a larger container.

Anyway, if anyone has any favorite storage bins (preferrably clear) that do well in attic conditions, please let me know!! I don't mind paying extra if it will protect the toys.

Thanks!!

I don't know where you're located, but you may need to watch humidity conditions. Plastic and wood shouldn't be too much of a problem, but anything cloth or leather and possibly some paper and softer plastics could have issues if stored where it gets really hot and humid. We ended up having to throw out all of our Christmas ornaments once because they were stored in an attic over the summer. We've even had some things mold in the garage which doesn't get THAT hot.

Depending on what you store, you might want to find something that doesn't have any openings and then tape around the lid just to be sure that you don't get any carpet beetles in there either.

I think that the opaque rubbermaid hold up the best. All of the clear plastics seem to break on me.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

JGib is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by indigo99 View Post
    I don't know where you're located, but you may need to watch humidity conditions. Plastic and wood shouldn't be too much of a problem, but anything cloth or leather and possibly some paper and softer plastics could have issues if stored where it gets really hot and humid. We ended up having to throw out all of our Christmas ornaments once because they were stored in an attic over the summer. We've even had some things mold in the garage which doesn't get THAT hot.

Depending on what you store, you might want to find something that doesn't have any openings and then tape around the lid just to be sure that you don't get any carpet beetles in there either.

I think that the opaque rubbermaid hold up the best. All of the clear plastics seem to break on me.
    I'm in the Dallas, TX area. Does get quite toasty here!! However, not as humid as someplace like Houston.