brgnmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default which (diaper) bag/backpack do you wear when babywearing?

I just started carrying my DD in the ergo & noticed that I can't place either of my diaper bags on my shoulder w/o them sliding off. I have a petite frame and am not broad-shouldered, and my skip hop studio tote & vera diaper bag both slide off my shoulder when I carry either bag while I have the ergo straps on my shoulders. I don't really remember this happening w/ my DS to this extent, but I usually carried my vera hipster when babywearing my DS.

do you have a go-to bag/backpack you wear when you carry your DC in the ergo (or another carrier)? TIA.

I used my JuJuBe PackaBe... Towards the end of my babywearing days, I got the BFF. I think that would have been a nice bag to use though.
    Vanessa

Full-time mommy to Miss Yumi ('08)

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I hated carrying the diaper bag while babywearing so we ended up with a changing pad that folds up and a bottle holder. We use carbiners to clip the diaper changing pad, which has a change of clothes, bib, wipes, bags for dirty clothes and diapers, extra diaper, and an extra insert(we cloth diaper but use hybrids when out and about) to one side of our pants and the bottle holder to the other side. It works fine for us for shopping trips and outings that we take and I don't miss anything I had in the diaper bag. DS is not a paci baby and that was basically all I had in the diaper bag that I no longer carry.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

Default thank you!

thank you for your input - I decided on getting the LeSportSac in the piazza print (classic hobo style) for the times when I mostly babywear my DD. It's lightweight and the strap can be adjusted to be longer so that I can wear it (crossbody style) as a small messenger bag & I don't have to worry about my bag sliding off my shoulder, etc.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

All I did was take one of those fold n go changing pads that had storage for wipes and diapers with me. There was never anything so drastically dire that I had to carry it with me...really, I was very rarely far from home or my car. I breastfed so no need for feeding supplies. I'd just clip the fold n go thing (The First Years, Target) to my carrier.

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    All I did was take one of those fold n go changing pads that had storage for wipes and diapers with me. There was never anything so drastically dire that I had to carry it with me...really, I was very rarely far from home or my car. I breastfed so no need for feeding supplies. I'd just clip the fold n go thing (The First Years, Target) to my carrier.

Beth
    you're so lucky that you didn't have to carry around feeding supplies! I nursed my DS primarily and so my diaper bag was much more lightweight back then and he was smaller than my DD & seemed to be easier to babywear than my DD. w/ my DS, if I had to run a super short errand, I'd place my wallet inside the Ergo pocket and I had a separate skip hop changing pad w/ the diapers and wipes inside. I have to carry around formula nursette bottles for my DD when we're outside, b/c she doesn't like being nursed in the Ergo - thus, the need for something more like a small/lightweight crossbody bag.

I also use one of the foldable change pads (the Skip Hop Pronto). All that fits in it is one cloth diaper, a couple of wipes, and an empty wet bag. I'm still trying to find the ideal diaper bag for babywearing, esp for long walks or destination walks like the library... books won't fit in a change pad.

I love the idea of a hybrid messenger bag/backpack but I haven't seen a budget-priced one yet... I do love the BBP one although it looks kind of odd in the backpack position. If MEC would just make one I'd be all set.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The Ju Ju Be Be Spicy has worked well to get me from the car to the shopping cart area (usually Costco) then I just put it in the shopping cart. I also have Ergo diaper changer thing but it's really big. I had a First Years knock off of the Skip Hop Pronto with DD1 and it worked okay (not sure where it is though).

ETA: I bought the Ergo changing pad on Baby Steals for $20. It's nice, but it's big and we don't use it much that I couldn't see paying full price for it.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    The Ju Ju Be Be Spicy has worked well to get me from the car to the shopping cart area (usually Costco) then I just put it in the shopping cart. I also have Ergo diaper changer thing but it's really big. I had a First Years knock off of the Skip Hop Pronto with DD1 and it worked okay (not sure where it is though).

ETA: I bought the Ergo changing pad on Baby Steals for $20. It's nice, but it's big and we don't use it much that I couldn't see paying full price for it.
    thank you for your feedback.
    I like your JJB spicy bag - it's really cute! It seems much more structured than the LeSportSac that I've been using when babywearing - that is my primary regret about the bag (how it flops over if I don't have enough inside the bag).

I had no idea that Ergo made changing pads (it's been awhile since I've checked out the ergo website)! thank you for the recommendation. I do have the skip hop pronto changing pad -which hasn't gotten enough use. I received it as a gift, and I've just been using the changing pad that came w/ my vera diaper bag since it's smaller. I carry way too much in my diaper bag (for potential what-if scenarios) that it's embarrassing.