Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dec756 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default ergo baby...how long?

my son is 14 months old. he definitley is the kind of kid that likes to be carried. he is 25 lbs. would an ergo be worth investing in at this point? if you have one, what do you use it for??

DD is 10 months and 22lbs and we still carry her in the Ergo (although now, it is really only comfortable to carry her on my back). We use it when we are some place that isn't stroller friendly, so anywhere crowded or with bad streets or if we won't be on paved side walks. At 14 months, I don't know how much longer you will use it. I think I will still use the Ergo sparingly for the next year or so, but not much longer. I definitely don't use it now as much as I did when she was iddy biddy. HTH.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I didn't even buy my Ergo til my DD1 was 2.5 years old!! I bought it for a cruise, and it was awesome. She's petite though!

I use it a lot for my DD2. I say it's a worthy investment, especially if your LO still likes to be carried a lot. You can always sell it later and make some money back.

Are you planning to have another baby? If so, then I would definitely buy one because IME, I used it a LOT with DS2! I bought the Ergo with DS1 when he was about 5 months old and continued to use it until he was about 2 1/2, at which point he not only got pretty heavy on my back, but he was also capable of walking a lot more.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DS is 2 (well, he will be on Saturday) and 30# and we still use it. It is great for times when we don't want to drag a stroller around, but we might need a containment device for safety reasons or because he is tired. He loves it. It is so much easier than carrying him. Until recently I had to take it into the grocery store with me every time b/c he would "need" to be carried.

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think the weight limit is pretty high. DH uses it mostly as I have a pikkolo I like much better......but it's great for hikes and long walks when DD1 gets tired and wants to be carried (and we don't have a stroller).
    We went to Hilton Head one year with it and DH carried DD1 on his back everywhere. It was great for the beach and walking through shops because we could just pop in and out of stores quickly and didn't have to worry about sand in the stroller wheels on the beach!

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The weight limit is 45 lbs, which is very generous for a carrier that can also be used in the infant stages.

I used mine this morning to get things done while my DH was in the shower & I still had to deal with DD. (She's 19.5 lbs at just shy of 1 y/o.)

I'd love to use it with my nephew, who's a cuddly little booger, but my sister objects.

If you're really concerned about limited use and don't plan on any more babies, you can check out a ToddlerHawk or Patapum instead.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

DS is 13 months and I just got one last week, I already it. DS has been a teething nightmare lately, I finally strapped him to my back on Sunday and did chores around the house for an hour while he hung out and eventually got sleepy and then I was able to put him down for a nap. I cant tell you how long its been since its been that easy to wrangle him and get him to nap!
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I use it all of the time with DS2 (bought it when DD was a baby). Dh will sometimes wear DD (newly 4, 32 lbs) in it if she's super tired/sick/whiny because it seems to help her grumpies go away That's probably only a few times a month if that, but she still enjoys it and it is handy at times when she's just "off" and needs to be close/snuggled.

DS2 spends at least half of his day in the ergo.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

I used it for DD yesterday. She is 2.5 (almost 3) and 25 lbs (she's a peanut). We were at a very noisy event and she fell right to sleep.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast