Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default What do you guys thiink of the teachers strikes going on in Wisconsin?

This has been huge news around here. My kids are in private school so it hasn't affects us, but the enormous state budge deficit is a huge problem here. Interestingly enough, we just moved here from Minnesota and that state has the same problems. They are searching for ways to balance their budget as well.

The state budget deficit here is a real problem and the governor is taking a very strong stance on reducing it. He is probably trying to weaken the unions here too. Not sure how I feel about that. But most the people I've been discussing this with are either republicans or democrats leaning right in this issue. I was wondering what the far left thought about this. Thoughts?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm definitely not far left...or left at all, but I think the governor is making some tough decisions to try to help the state. Tough decisions are rarely popular or easy.

Interestingly, I think something pretty similar is starting to happen in Indiana...and I hear Ohio is right behind.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This isn't about balancing the budget. It is about breaking the union. But not all the unions, note that the police and fire unions are not included (which are conveniently enough the unions that tend to support Republicans unlike the unions under fire).

The unions were willing to make concessions on benefits but he refused so that tells me that that this isn't really about the money especially when he was pretty free-handed with tax breaks earlier in the year (just over a month ago actually).

I found this to be rather interesting...

ETA- So yeah, I don't have an issue with the teachers protesting. And considering by some measures, Wisconsin has really good schools (ranks 2nd in SAT/ACT scores), I'm not sure why you would want to mess with what isn't broken.
    Last edited by ellies mom; 02-22-2011 at 01:18 PM.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'm interested in seeing if the Koch brothers benefit from the no bid provisions, considering their PAC was a major donor.

I agree w/ Ellie's mom that I don't think this is about money as much as union busting.
    Last edited by brittone2; 02-22-2011 at 01:22 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I admit that I am not a fan of unions. I think that they had their place and have really greatly improved things for workers. My g'pa was a factory worker in the first half of the 1900s and was union. The improvements like better work conditions, hours and benefits are great- like people aren't forced to work 20 hour days in dangerous conditions. But, some of those things are typical now. I also have some issues with teachers' unions enabling bad teachers to keep their jobs. So, I am interested to see how things go in WI.

Beth

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Indianamom2 View Post
    I'm definitely not far left...or left at all, but I think the governor is making some tough decisions to try to help the state. Tough decisions are rarely popular or easy.
    As a state employee in California whose union hasn't done a whole lot for us in the last 10 yrs (2 true 2.5% COL raises since 2001) I agree with that statement. I would be happy in a sense if they totally redid the collective bargaining with state employees in my state.

I also agree with Snuggle Buggles 100%.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 02-22-2011 at 01:55 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I agree with SnuggleBuggles too. It's time to break the unions down, fire the teachers that suck (or the ones that choose to not show up for work) and balance the budget. The teachers get fabulous benefits and should have to chip in towards those--the rest of us in the real world do.

And not all WI schools are good. The ones here suck. Big time.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

He has it backwards. He should look to the federal model--the unions can't negotiate on pay or benefits but absolutely get a say in working conditions and discipline procedures (essential for protecting staff when administrations change).

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am more pro-union in general than I am pro-teacher's unions specifically. I think unions have a place, and even an important place, for physical laboring type of jobs where the pay is all about seniority, employment is at will, and employees are extremely vulnerable to being used and "discarded" once they are not quite so young (and more expensive). And there aren't alot of other options out there because the person's experience is in a factory or laboring job and they don't have transferable skills. There can be a social benefit to legal and union protection in these cases because we want people to work at these jobs and not be thrown out and subject to long-term unemployment.

But, teacher's unions have lead to some very stupid policies that have substantially harmed public education and benefited a group of people who do have transferable skills. I am not sure if my issue is with unionization per se or the specific path the teacher's unions have decided to take and the issues they have emphasized . . .
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think it is about union busting too. There are definitely cons as well as pros to teachers unions, I have issues with them myself, but this is a cheap and dishonest way to address those issues. Opportunistic, politically motivated. The safety of your job and benefits should not be based on who you vote for.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast