Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Cheese/dairy for 8 month old?

Any recommendations for the type of cheese to introduce to my baby when he turns 8 months in a week? Any other dairy I should consider? TIA.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Most hard cheeses, like Swiss (Emmentaler), cheddar, Monterey Jack, colby, etc. should be OK. My DD likes Swiss, cheddar, Jack and Colby. She'll play with mozzarella.

You can also try yogurt. (I'd wanted to wait 'til 9 months to try her on yogurt, but I ended up on antibiotics for mastitis when she was a little under 8 months & felt she needed the probiotics.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yogurt, and I would go with mild cheeses. We started with string cheese. DD liked to gnaw on the stick.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    Yogurt, and I would go with mild cheeses. We started with string cheese. DD liked to gnaw on the stick.
    DD is 10 months and does yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese (mozarella), mild-cheddar cheese, havarti, provolone cheese and american cheese. She absolutely loves cheese.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DD (at that age and now) and 11 month old DS2 are huge full fat greek yogurt fans. DS2 really loves it.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I second the full fat greek yogurt...so yummy! DD won't really eat the milder cheeses (unless of course they are on a pizza LOL)...she eats sharp cheddar and really stinky cheeses by the fist full! So I wouldn't necessarily shy away from the stronger, more flavorful cheeses.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

I want to start giving my baby yogurt - if I mix in some of the fruit purée I make, would I consider that a meal or a snack for her?

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I started with monterey jack cheese at around 8.5 months. I just intro'd yogurt at 9.5 months. So far, so good. DD definitely prefers yogurt!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LMPC View Post
    I second the full fat greek yogurt...so yummy! DD won't really eat the milder cheeses (unless of course they are on a pizza LOL)...she eats sharp cheddar and really stinky cheeses by the fist full! So I wouldn't necessarily shy away from the stronger, more flavorful cheeses.
    I 3rd the full-fat Greek yogurt and second the flavorful cheeses. DD seems to prefer sharp cheddar to mild & will try pretty much anything.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by thelilprincess View Post
    I want to start giving my baby yogurt - if I mix in some of the fruit purée I make, would I consider that a meal or a snack for her?
    IME, either Totally nutritious. I like being able to sweeten naturally with fruit vs. the presweetened "with fruit" type yogurts.

DS2 had some organic applesauce mixed into his yogurt for brekkie this morning
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast