Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Juice (OJ) in the morning and at night for the Calcium, and water the rest of the time. DS is dairy intolerant, so we stopped giving him milk. He can tolerate it in small amounts (half a yogurt cup, some frozen yogurt, ice cream, etc).
    Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PAfirsttimemom View Post
    I am always amazed at the number of parents who post that their kids won't drink juice. My kids would drink it all day if given the choice! I try to limit it to a couple of sippy cups a day, and I always dilute it with water (half juice half water). Typical juices we have on hand are OJ, cranberry rasberry/cran grape juice, and apple juice. I usually offer milk at two meals and then water the rest of the time.
    I'm with you ... my kids would happily guzzle juice all day if given the option.... shoot if they could have soda all day they would drink that too (it is a treat for them to have a root beer or a shirley temple if we go out though). We have apple juice, cranberry, OJ (calcium fort.) and lemonade at home. They usually get one small cup full with dinner and then they can refill their cups with water. Otherwise it's milk.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Water and milk only. Juice is a very rare offering (when we eat out or at b'day parties). DD1 loves her milk so much that she'd rather get a treat like chocolate milk or mango lassi when we eat out than get juice.

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Besides milk and water she also likes chocolate milk, "bubble water" (we have a Penguino to make carbonated water at home), and kefir yogurt drinks (she LOVES Probugs pouches, especially when we're going out). Sometimes she gets juice or lemonade, but not that often, maybe a couple times a week.
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Puddy73 View Post
    They get one glass of diluted V8 Fusion or fresh lemonade per day, otherwise the only choices are milk or water. DH is a sweet tea addict and will often give them a few sips.
    Can I ask if they are only getting one glass of V8 per day, then why dilute it? Yes, I get you are "lowering" the amount of sugar, but you are also lowering the amount of other nutrients as well.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
    Can I ask if they are only getting one glass of V8 per day, then why dilute it? Yes, I get you are "lowering" the amount of sugar, but you are also lowering the amount of other nutrients as well.
    Not the OP, but most prepackaged juice loses most of the advertised vitamin content from what I've read, especially once they go through pasteurization and being opened. Our children's museum had a science day one time and one of the experiments (I wasn't there, this was via a good friend) was testing the vitamin C content in commercial OJ. Very, very little and far less than advertised. It deteriorates once it is in there. THat's one reason I just don't think juice really has much nutritional value (coupled w/ the sugar, usually no fiber to mitigate the sugar, which is what you have with fresh fruit...at least the fiber slows the insulin spike a tiny bit).

I've read conflicting things about how fast the vitamin C deteriorates but something to consider.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5