KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default DS doesn't like Ergo

DS is about 4.5 months. I've been using the Bjorn just because I had saved it from DD. He loves it but it is so uncomfortable for me so I bought the Ergo since it gets such great reviews. DS hates the straps being in his face which keep him from looking around. Am I doing something wrong? He is a big boy so it's not a size issue. He's 19lbs and 27". I'm considering returning the ergo and getting one of the new bjorn carriers that have the waist strap. I just wanted to ask first because I know so many people love the Ergo. I use the carrier mostly when I go grocery shopping or to the mall, and when I walk to pick DD up from school. DS hates the stroller right now.
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

As soon as I read your title, I thought "Her DS is probably 5 months old" because that age is the doldrums of the Ergo carrier. They're too big to froggy their legs, but their hips/pelvis aren't wide enough to comfortably spread out (it doesn't have to do with length/weight but rather pelvic growth). In just two months it will be a totally different story and he'll be great in both front and back carries. The Bjorn, even woth waist strap, will kill your back t that age. Plus, you're so close to the age for back carries (which the Ergo is awesomefor), and you can't do that with the Bjorn.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
    As soon as I read your title, I thought "Her DS is probably 5 months old" because that age is the doldrums of the Ergo carrier. They're too big to froggy their legs, but their hips/pelvis aren't wide enough to comfortably spread out (it doesn't have to do with length/weight but rather pelvic growth). In just two months it will be a totally different story and he'll be great in both front and back carries. The Bjorn, even woth waist strap, will kill your back t that age. Plus, you're so close to the age for back carries (which the Ergo is awesomefor), and you can't do that with the Bjorn.
    Thank you so much! I never even considered that his legs/hips weren't comfortable. I'll just use the bjorn for another couple months. That thing is horrible on the back though!
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal_Stores View Post
    Thank you so much! I never even considered that his legs/hips weren't comfortable. I'll just use the bjorn for another couple months. That thing is horrible on the back though!
    I went through this with both DS and DD. With DS I couldn't figure out why the carrier didn't fit him right even though it worked fine for my friend's 9 month old - but once he was 6 months old it was a different story . I'd retry it every week or two - another way you'll be able to tell when he's ready for it when he's able to straddle your hip really well - babies who are younger can be on your hip, but they don't have the same ability to 'spread and grip' like a 6+ month old can. .
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Hmmm . . . I could've written the OP, except my daughter's now 10 months and she never did get to like the Ergo. I'm very sad about this, since I've refused to use the Bjorn for some months now but we can't find another carrier that seems to work for her. We're thinking of getting a Mei Tai, maybe a Kozy Carrier, but haven't made the final call yet.

Anyone have any thoughts on a Mei Tai vs the Ergo? If a kid doesn't like the Ergo, is there any chance a Mei Tai will be better?

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have both an Ergo and a Beco Butterfly II. We used the Beco until DS was over 6 months because he just wasn't comfortable in the Ergo. Now that he's older he enjoys both carriers equally. Mom prefers the Beco, dad prefers the Ergo, and DS is happy being carried in either.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
    Yes, hold out if you can...starting at six months the Ergo just clicked for us. Arivecchi also gave me a great idea to try at the 5 month mark...frog one leg and keep one out. That worked for us too until baby was big enough to straddle with both legs.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3