Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Exposed to Chicken Pox...talk me down!

I am kind of freaking out about this...we just found out that our 16 mo old was exposed to chicken pox at daycare. This worries me on two accounts...he has only had one vaccination, and I have had NONE. I never had it as a kid, and when I had blood tests done during pregnancy my OB pointed it out & said I needed to get vaccinated. And now here I am 16 mos later kicking myself.

I guess I'm wondering how likely it is that we will get it, what to keep an eye out for, and how serious it would be for him & I to get it at our ages (I'm 35).

CR@P.

It might not make you feel better, but I wouldn't worry about it at all! If it were me I would up my Vitamin C and get more sleep so your body can fight it off if you do get it.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If it were me, *I* would go ASAP and get a vax for myself. I would worry far less about your DS, but make getting you the vax the priority. If he gets it, it will hopefully be mild. CP for an adult is far more serious AFAIK.

GL!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was too late for the vax to help me. But I guess it can't hurt? Looks like I'll be visiting the walk-in clinic by my office tomorrow.

Ever since I saw the notice, I can't stop itching!

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Another adult who's never had CP here. I've been exposed a couple of times as an adult but never gotten it. I got vaxed before TTC with DD1 because it is even more dangerous if you get it when pg. So call your doc and try and get the shot - but hopefully you will not get it!

I would also worry less about DS and more about you. Chicken Pox is much easier for a kid to recover from (though no walk in the park) but as an adult can lead to shingles etc. so go get the vaccine and then try and push it out of your mind.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

nrp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Another one here who never had CP as a child. I got the vaccine several years ago, but honestly if I were in your shoes I wouldn't be too alarmed. Getting the vaccine is a good idea (though I doubt that it will help for this exposure), but my feeling was always that if I never got it after all the times I was surely exposed as a child, that I probably wasn't all that susceptible. My dad never had CP either.
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

nak-
    I never had it as a child (and titers came back neg). Had one dose in high school when the vax first came out. (eta: when the recommendations for a 2nd dose came long, I had another titer and at that time my levels were supposedly okay. If I had gotten a 2nd dose at that time it would have been very difficult as I was working with kids who were immune compromised at the time, so I was kinda out of luck either way).

I talked w/ our family practice doc a few years ago and we discussed one option could be using an antiviral...I think maybe valtrex (usually marketed for herpes) if we knew I was exposed. I haven't looked into that for a few years but it might be something to look into or discuss w/ the doc, since I'm not sure how much benefit you'd get from the vax at this point.
    Last edited by brittone2; 02-24-2011 at 04:23 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was exposed many times as a child but never got it. Then I got it when I was 21. I was out of work for a week, probably could've been out longer but they were pressuring me to return. It's bearable, but different than when you're a kid and get it. The pox were not itchy at all, they were painful. Painful to sit or lie down. Not fun, but survivable. I also have a few scars from them, even though I never scratched them. I think scarring is more common when your older. I don't think there were antivirals back then (I'm 40 now). I think that would help. Wonder if you could take it now? Anyway, just watch for something that looks like a pimple and don't pick it, that's what I thought mine was at first.

Since your DS got one of the vax, I wouldn't worry about it. Do get your vaccinations ASAP. It's much worse in adults and it does lead to shingles. Perhaps you should talk to someone at daycare and ask them whether the child with chicken pox already had the lesions at the time when your DS was exposed. The child with chicken pox is most contagious when the lesions are present and your DS touches it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast