Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Anyone use "the crystal" deodorant?

A friend of mine recommended it as a healthier alternative to anti-perspirant. She said she never had a problem with odor.

Weelll, I can't say I'm exactly having the same experience. It is "winter" here in so cal (although often in the 70s if not 80s) and still I have "odor" issues. I don't think it is overpowering or super strong but it just bothers me not to smell "shower clean" anymore, lol.

I also worry about our very hot summers where our temps are often in the 90s/100s. I also tend to be the type to perspire (in my underarms) very heavily.

The upside is I've found less annoying staining in my white shirts. That alone makes me consider sticking with this product.

Just wondering if anyone had any tips or wanted to opine about being okay being smelly, lol.

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I tried the crystal deo once...unfortunately, it didn't work for me and I was still smelly
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

It gave me a yeast infection in my armpits. Wow, now THAT was fun.

Oh yeah, and I was still stinky.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I used one for years and introduced DH to it. I'm thrilled we no longer end up with big crusty, yellow stains on DH's t-shirts, but he does often apply it 2 or 3 times a day.

I'm inclined to say there's an adjustment period for your body to get used to it. Seems like it took a good two weeks or so for it to really work properly. I've heard other people saying similar things on MDC saying it's like a detox period or something.

I do admit however that on the hottest days of summer I have a stick of regular antiperspirant/deodorant on hand, because when it's over 100 degrees the crystal stick alone just doesn't cut it for me.
    Jen

I have tried the crystal, kiss my face liquid crystal and tom's of maine deoderant. I gave the crystal a good month, but I still smelled. Same with the liquid crystal. Tom's deoderant, I got in apricot, and yep, I still smell.

I tried re-applying the crystal or liquid crystal, but it didn't seem to help unless I washed my armpit with a washcloth before re-applying. This was very annoying and not very convenient... The Tom's of Maine lasts a little longer, but by the time I feed my DD her last feeding before bed, I smell already.

One problem I know I have is I eat low-carb or no carbs. And somewhere I heard bad BO is a side effect of eating low carb. So I googled it and it is true. I just deal with it. If I have time to re-apply, I do.

So you're not alone. HTH!
    DD 6/10

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks for chiming in guys! I guess I'm not alone. I've given this product a couple of months and I'm still having problems. I think I might keep it and see if I can just use for day to day and when I'm wearing my nicest clothes or if it is very warm, I'll rely more on my regular anti-perspirant!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

The smell comes from bacteria in your armpits. So while you are transitioning from a regular product, I would use something like witchhazel on a cosmetic round or in a spray bottle under your arms a few times a day. Every time you do that you knock the bacteria count back down. THen respray/reapply your deodorant. After you get through the initial adjustment it usually works pretty well. I use the crystal spray and nature's gate deod. (lemongrass). They won't really keep you from sweating though. DH has gotten yeasty in the past when he tried to transition to a different product, so he's still using conventional deodorant/antiperspirant.

I know the cosmetic rounds thing is a pain but if you do that something like 2x a day or so in the beginning it will help with the transition. You could premoisten with witch hazel and keep in a ziplock. I'll do this on the hottest days of the summer when I pop into the bathroom and wash my hands, I'll just do a quick underarm swipe and reapply my deodorant.

I've never heard the low carb connection...is it only in ketosis that it is a problem? I've never had that happen and we eat pretty low carb/paleo here.
    Last edited by brittone2; 02-25-2011 at 04:42 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I did the witch hazel thing, it made no difference for me. I've never had a problem with yeast otherwise (don't get YIs, never had thrush while nursing, etc). I don't eat particularly low carb (though I do generally eat low GI)
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

I have tried a couple of brands - the first worked great and I loved it. The one I have now, meh, not working very well, therefore I *dont* love it! I actually just ordered a WAHM deodorant to try. I'm trying to avoid aluminum, so don't feel like I can go back to regular drugstore deo/ap. This is the one I ordered: http://hyenacart.com/EarthMuffin/mt/...rapefriut-All-
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MommyAllison View Post
    I have tried a couple of brands - the first worked great and I loved it. The one I have now, meh, not working very well, therefore I *dont* love it! I actually just ordered a WAHM deodorant to try. I'm trying to avoid aluminum, so don't feel like I can go back to regular drugstore deo/ap. This is the one I ordered: http://hyenacart.com/EarthMuffin/mt/...rapefriut-All-
    That looks nice, and I find the price reasonable. Deoderant was one of the last things for me to switch because I hate stinking. I tried the Tom's of Maine and stunk. I popped into my local health food store and the SA said people dono't usually have stink issues with this product. I tried it and LOVE it! It is expensive, though, so I'm interested in seeing if the one MommyAllison posted works (though I know it can vary from person to person).

http://www.realpurity.com/shop/produ...products_id=28

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast