Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

It's sounds like you guys are doing well with cutting down some of the extra expenses, so good for you. I'm so sorry DH has had another cut, that is so discouraging.

We have been trying to do omelettes once a week or so...Once I figured out the trick to making them well everyone really likes them and it's nice to use the leftover veggies from other meals.

I have always thought whole chickens were rather pricey....what is a good price on what size chicken? I stock up at Kroger when they have the already cookied rotisserie chickens on sale for $3.99, but I always find the raw chickens seem to cost more.

I also plan on having a beans and rice night but I haven't implemented it yet. I'd be fine with having meat 3 times a week but I think DH would also miss it and maybe feel hungry. I also like to do potato or sweet potatoes as a main course but not sure if everyone would appreciate that as much as I do.

I will definitely be following this thread, we could use these tips also.

ETA: OP, do you have an Aldi? I really feel that I save a lot of money when I shop there regularly.

If you can use more lentils, beans and peas, (especially dried, not canned), you get a lot of bang for the buck. But you don't have to eat it plain (I'm not a fan of rice and beans myself). You can use it to supplement the meat you do buy, so you're not sacrificing quality, just quantity.

I am a huge carnivore like your DH, but have a genetic predisposition to high cholesterol so DH has really limited my red meat intake. Anyhow, the relevant point for you, OP, is that my DH (who does all the cooking) stretches out the red meat flavor by adding healthy "fillers" like lentils that supplement the meat and don't add weird flavors. So for instance, he made meatloaf the other day with ground beef but also had ground turkey, ground pork, lentils, black-eyed peas, kale, carrots, etc. It still tasted great, I couldn't tell there was all that other stuff in there. Plus, it's healthier.

HTH!

Maybe instead of buying organic milk, just buy the milk with out BGH? BGH to me is the big deal when it comes to milk. Buying BGH free milk from TJs is quite a bit cheaper than buying organic milk from a regular grocer. TJs cheese and other dairy products are also BGH free.

I also think whoever suggested ethnic grocers is really onto something. The ones in socal have a lot of cheap staples. I would also consider buying produce there, if you don't mind getting non-organic produce. It's much cheaper, but you have to use it faster because they tend to get produce that's riper.
    Last edited by TwinFoxes; 02-25-2011 at 04:18 PM.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I would also consider buying produce there, if you don't mind getting non-organic produce. It's much cheaper, but you have to use it faster because they tend to get produce that's riper.
    YOu could even just look at buying the non dirty dozen items for produce if you are concerned about non organic.

If you are buying really ripe fruit, if you guys do smoothies just chop the fruit up and flash freeze, then bag and use that for smoothies (if they are an option). If you flash freeze it it doesn't turn into one huge blob. Instead you can pull out a few pieces at a time.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

This may not be a popular opinion--but here it is.
    I'm a total organic freak (there, I said it ). But if it came down to going totally vegetarian (which I don't really agree with on a health level--but that's a story for another day)--and having my husband feeling resentful and like life just couldn't get any more "poor" because he was without meat, then I personally would be okay with buying regular grocery store meat/chicken/milk for awhile until your family income increased. I don't think it would jeopardized your health that much if it was on on a temporary (1-2 year) basis. You do what you have to do, right? That's my thinking anyway.

One thing I do here that has really saved major $$ is to make a big meal 3x a week, and it's enough to last us for 2 dinners.
    Mon- Cook
    Tuesday- leftovers
    Wednesday- Cook
    Thursday-Leftovers
    Friday- Homemade pizza night and a $1 Redbox movie rental
    Saturday- Cook
    Sunday- Leftovers

I have gone back to alot of casserole & skillet or stir-fry, soup dishes that use meat in it rather than the main focus.

Some good cookbooks for frugal cooking (note: your cost using organic items will be more, but they are still cheap-er meals than most cookbooks).
    Check your library!

-$5 Dinner Mom
    http://www.5dollardinners.com/ (sign up for her free email recipes!)
    -Cheap. Fast. Good
    http://www.amazon.com/Cheap-Fast-Goo.../dp/B001CJP2HE
    -Family Feasts for $75 a week.
    http://www.amazon.com/Family-Feasts-...ref=pd_sim_b_8

And good luck. These are some tough times we're living in .
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If you do find yourselves tossing a good bit of food (most people do. Heck, the first few years DH and I were married I shudder to think of how much $$$ we tossed out. Eeek.), bulk cooking on the weekends can help IME.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh, yeah I forgot about the homemade cleaners a PP mentioned, I've saved a fortune that way. I only buy detergent and use half the recommended amount, and dishwashing soap from Costco. EVerything else I make from baking soda, vinegar, borax and castille soap.

I also tried to oil method for skin care, and saved a bunch on cosmetics. And the no 'poo method (no shampoo) but that didn't work out so well for me.

We use cloth diapers and cloth napkins, so that cuts the disposable products cost.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My suggestion is to make some hearty soups/stews and have those a couple nights a week with bread and a salad. They make great leftover meals and you can stretch the meat that you use or have some meatless/vegetarian soups. I'm thinking of gumbo, chili, tortilla soup, minestrone, etc. Beans are also a good, cheap source of protein.

hth
    K

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Well, I don't do all organic all the time, and I feel comfortable with the non-hormone milk rather than organic. I do organic ground beef only, but I'll get other meat that is not organic, but still hormone free. If you don't want to go that far, what about doing organic for your DD, but not for yourself or your DH? Sorry you guys are going through this.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Eggs are a cheap and good source of protein. So, if you want to cut down on meats, maybe try to do more quiche or bkfst for dinner type of dishes. Or egg salad, boiled eggs for lunch, etc..

If produce is expensive, I have absolutely no problem using frozen veggies. Also, stock up when certain veggies are cheap and freeze them. This might not be something you can do now, but this summer, I was able to buy bell peppers for 25 cents each. They are over a dollar each around here when it's off season, so I bought up 20 of them and chopped and froze them up for chilis and spaghetti sauce.

You probably already do it, but I use the sales fliers to determine what our menu will be for the week.

Also, please do not take this the wrong way, but if your DH has gotten another pay cut, do you think maybe you would qualify for WIC? I'm sorry that you are going through this stress.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast