Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Red face Never wore a baby but think I may have to ....help please

OK guys, you all know your stuff so well when it comes to babywearing. I remember when this section went up on the boards, and it's always been so foreign to me.

We did try the baby bjorn for DD and DS and all of us hated it, so we moved on. I realize that is just about the worst baby carrier out there.

Here is the thing: the concept of taking care of twins , especially in the newborn stage, has me frazzled. I feel like holding/carrying a newborn baby that cries is such an important part of those first few months and I don't want to neglect a baby, yet I can't carry both all the time. While we have a great family to help us a lot, I'm thinking I may try to carry one baby and hold the other.

is that even feasible? I'm short 5'2" and never used a wrap, or any other carrier out there. Can anything be used for a very small newborn? What should I keep an eye out for.

I've read about the ergo but it seems a bit bulky. not quite sure if a newborn would go in there well. I'll totally research anything that is suggested! TIA
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Get a Moby Wrap. It fits any size of person, even if you are short. It can be adjusted to support very tiny babies or larger infants (up to 15-20 lbs or 4-5 months old). You don't have to figure out sizes either.

I loved the Moby. Here is the thing - it takes 4-6 times of putting it on to get the hang of it b/c you have to wrap the fabric around your body. Once you've done it that many times it becomes easy and it is a truly hands-free carrier - and you can also do kangaroo-care with it by having no shirt on underneath and having the newborn skin-to-skin with you under the fabric (which will be great, especially if you have a preemie).

Here is a video showing how to wrap it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CamfW...layer_embedded

www.mobywrap.com
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

tmahanes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I got a Baby Ktan and it was great. It is like a wrap in fabric and style but is actaully loops so you do not have to learn how to wrap. We used it from about 1wk on. It is really comfy!!!
    Tara

DS - B 2/10

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would go with an ergo, easy on and off, wt limit is high, you can wear it front and back and you can make your DH wear it too. I don't know how many DH's would be willing to wear a moby, even though I love moby wraps, I think you'll need DH's help whenever possible and if that means strapping a kid onto him w/o him whining about wearing something that looks un-manly, then so be it.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Canna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Honestly - get both the Moby and the Ergo (or similar structured carrier)! The Moby is awesome with little newborns. The Ergo is most ideal from around 5-6 months to around age 2. One of you could use it with a smaller baby, though if you needed two. My DH preferred the Bjorn until our DD's (not twins) reached the Ergo stage. He was willing to do other carriers too but preferred the easy of clipping on straps. The Moby usually only costs around $40 or so: for a baby carrier, it's a bargain. You may be able to find one at kids consignment places also, if you keep your eyes out.

We have friends w/twins, and since her DH has the most amazing family leave I've ever heard of (12 weeks paid!! family leave!), they pretty much lived in their Mobys, each taking a baby, or the mom would wear both babies in her Moby. They absolutely loved them for the first 3+ months. Now that the babies are over a year old, they love the Ergo.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We loved the baby bjorn for the first few months. Both my husband & I used it and thought it was great for a smaller baby: very easy to put on/take off, the baby seemed super comfortable, easy to adjust for different body sizes. Once our DD got to be around 15/16 lbs it got to be uncomfortable for me, but until then it was great. For us, the Moby was a little overwhelming with all the yards of fabric, although I know many people swear you get used to it.

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would go with a wrapsody wrap over the moby. They are more supportive than a moby for wearing both babies. Ergo aren't really the best for little babies (and twins are usually small; I know mine were ). A structured carrier that cinches at the base would be a better choice, like the pikkolo, or beco. Another option is ring slings. You can wear 2 rs, with one baby in each, or a rs over the top of a wrap. Personally I like a rs with a bit of padded shoulder, like maya, but sleepingbaby rs are also very popular.

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Canna View Post
    Honestly - get both the Moby and the Ergo (or similar structured carrier)! The Moby is awesome with little newborns. The Ergo is most ideal from around 5-6 months to around age 2. One of you could use it with a smaller baby, though if you needed two. My DH preferred the Bjorn until our DD's (not twins) reached the Ergo stage. He was willing to do other carriers too but preferred the easy of clipping on straps. The Moby usually only costs around $40 or so: for a baby carrier, it's a bargain. You may be able to find one at kids consignment places also, if you keep your eyes out.
    That's exactly what I did. A Moby for the few months and then the Ergo. You can also get the infant insert for the Ergo to use in the earlier months as well.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ABO Mama View Post
    I would go with a wrapsody wrap over the moby. They are more supportive than a moby for wearing both babies. Ergo aren't really the best for little babies (and twins are usually small; I know mine were ). .

I completely shied away from wraps when DD1 was born because I thought they were complicated but I am now a firm convert. I tried a stretchy wrap like a Moby but I prefer one like the wrapsody wrap (I have a Hug-a-bub which is similar). I got mine on Craigslist but if you go over to the babywear forum there are a lot of listings for sale. Be warned, you can spend anywhere from $40 to $400.
    I have an Ergo and I'm a huge fan of them for older babies. I have used it for DD2 but I like the wrap more right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast