Rarick0 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Please help! Ergo sport not comfortable

What am I doing wrong? I just purchased an ergo sport off babysteals because I've read such good reviews and I liked the idea of a cooler fabric. I really want to like it but after just 30 minutes my lower back is hurting quite a bit. I'm 5'2" but my DS is already 19.5 lbs at 6 months and he didn't seem secure when I leaned forward. I would love to try on the beco Gemini or the pikkolo but no one carries it remotely close to me. I'm debating whether I should order the Gemini just for comparison. I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Rarick0 View Post
    What am I doing wrong? I just purchased an ergo sport off babysteals because I've read such good reviews and I liked the idea of a cooler fabric. I really want to like it but after just 30 minutes my lower back is hurting quite a bit. I'm 5'2" but my DS is already 19.5 lbs at 6 months and he didn't seem secure when I leaned forward. I would love to try on the beco Gemini or the pikkolo but no one carries it remotely close to me. I'm debating whether I should order the Gemini just for comparison. I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions.
    Silly question but have you tried adjusting the straps? I use the regular Ergo with a larger DS and I can wear him for hours without pain when it's adjusted properly. I find that I need to make him snugger than I'd expect initially and need to place the waist strap at the right height. The chest strap height is also really important. Too high or low and the straps slide and I strain my back trying to keep them up.

You might also want to try a back carry occasionally, especially when he's sleepy.

If you want to order another carrier Amazon has free returns on several baby carriers and some extend prime shipping benefits.

http://www.amazon.com/Beco-Gemini-4-...8773148&sr=8-6

Good luck!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Your DS is approaching the zone when he might be too big for you to do a front carry, based on your frame. The woman I bought my SIL's Moby (and a friend's Gemini) from is petite herself & stops front-carries on babies in the 20-lb range.

Another tip is to make sure that the "waist" belt is actually at your hips instead.

And if your DC isn't snug against your body, you're actually changing your center of gravity, leading to the back pain.

FWIW, if it's not adjusted properly, you're gonna have the same issue with the Gemini!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

1. Are you doing a front carry or a back carry?
    2. Is the waist band on your hipbones or your soft stomach area? It needs to be settled on your hips for it to hold the weight
    3. How is the chest clip adjusted? For a back carry, it should be an inch or two below your collar bone (if you're petite). For a front carry, it should be just above your shoulder blades (you may have to play around with exactly where your 'sweet spot' is for this).
    4. How is your DS situated in it - have you bounced up and down and spread his legs so that his bottom is as far down in the carrier as possible and he's straddling your waist effectively?
    5. If yo'ure doing only front carries, have you tried back carries? Once a baby is 6 months old I exclusively back carry and it is FAR more comfortable. If I need to, I can carry my 2 year old (25 lbs) in a back carry comfortably.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I 2nd the question about strap adjustment.

Here's the mistakes I made (and the ladies at my hippie mom store sorted me out):
    - waist band too high
    - waist band not tight enough
    - shoulder straps too loose - that's what it really sounds like form what you describe. It made me hunch forward. Now I always have them tightened nearly all the way, and it sounds like I have a bigger frame than you.
    -back/chest strap not tight enough.

I still carry my daughter on the front and she's 23 + pounds. Back carry is more ergonomic at this point but not always practical. Even with her that heavy, I can carry her comfortably for an hour or more. You should be able to carry him securely and comfortably for short trips.

Good luck!

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

Rarick0 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thank you ladies!

I watched some videos and took your advice about adjusting the straps and it's so much better. I definitely had to push the waist strap down around my hips and moved the chest strap up a bit. Then I tightened the heck out of the shoulder straps. I've only tried a front carry so far but will try to attempt the back carry soon. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Rarick0 View Post
    When DD got around 20lbs, I found that front carrying her started to get uncomfortable. Switch to a back carry and you won't feel a thing. That is how I wear DD now (she is about 22lbs) and love it.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

FWIW, I can still front carry my 19lb., 10 mos. old in my Beco Butterfly, and I have a bad back. I bought the Beco over the Ergo in 2008 when DD1 was just shy of 2 and and the Beco was way more comfortable for me to use (although DH actually ended up using it way more than I did with DD1; he used it up until DD1 turned 4).

If I really wanted a new carrier now I would get the Beco Gemini; love the options for versatility, but really don't need another carrier now.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)