Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What kind of gown with pixie hair? Oh, my!

So, about 2 mos ago, I got it all. cut. off. I have a dark brown little pixie cut to go with my pale winter skin and big hazel eyes. I love it for my day to day life. It is fun, still professional, and very easy.

But, now, I need to go to a black-tie formal event with DH next month, and I keep thinking that I am going to look ridiculous in a formal gown. I do think that for this event, long is the way to go. I loved this.....but totally wrong with my hair, I think!?!

What types of gowns do you think I should be looking at?

For reference, I am 5'7", size 8, smallish to average boobs. Not in terrible shape, but not in great shape either. I would like to avoid shutter pleats and anything Grecian. Both pretty, but I am getting a little tired of them. Budget, I'd like to keep it under $300, but really, less is more, as I *almost* never have to go to things this formal (I can usually get by with cocktail).
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think that gown is gorgeous & I don't think your haircut would clash. I am about the least fashionable person on the planet, but I think you could get some really pretty dangling earrings to match the dress & look smashing!

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would start looking up pictures of Halle Berry!
    She rocks the pixie cut and always looks fab.

ETA: I really like the dress you linked to too.
    Last edited by elektra; 03-01-2011 at 03:48 AM.
    DD
    DS

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

that dress is great! agree with PP post about Halle Berry resource as a guide.

Get yourself some longer dangly earrings and get the dress!

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Beautiful dress - get it! If you don't have a fabulous necklace to go with it, I would get one!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I love that dress and think you could totally rock it with a pixie cut!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

I agree with pp, I actually think that dress would look better with a pixie than it does with the long hair in the picture. The long hair competes with the dress. You have lots of options. Think of your pixie as more of an up-do, and I agree...look at Halle Berry!
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

chinook is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I ditto the PP's - Michelle Williams and Halle Berry look AMAZING in all sorts of gowns with their pixie cuts. Wear whatever looks hot on your bod and you'll be a star!

FWIW you're hairstyle sounds gorgeous. Like PPs the first thing that came to mind was how great that gown would look with a short pixie cut and some long earrings. I'm sure you'll look beautiful!
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Love the gown! I have a pixie cut (I've been rockin that look for most of my life) and honestly I've never given any thought to how my hair looks with different clothes. I guess because I've never known it any other way. I think what makes a dress is how you wear it...with grace, confidence, and that it fits your personal style.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast