jess_g is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Do Patagonia jackets run small?

I just bought a R3 jacket at REI and am wondering if they run small or are true to size? I bought a size large but usualy wear a size medium. I am hoping someone says they run small as it will make me feel better. I love the jacket and it is big on me, but I can't believe I would ever wear a size large. It was the only one they had and it was marked down by about 65% so I had to buy it. It is very comfy.

http://www.rei.com/product/802863

Thanks, Jessica.

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I find they run on the smaller side. I often size up to a large although I usually wear a medium. What a great deal...it's hard to find Patagonia on sale.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DEFinitely run small. It always depresses me too. DH is tall and he can hardly wear any of their regular clothes, even though he's a pro.

ETA - love their stuff though, it wears well and is so nicely made.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It runs small, smaller than Northface.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Patagonia everything runs small. Even at my thinnest I can never wear the "proper" size because the legs and sleeves are always too short. Don't even get me started about bust issues. I often end up bypassing the women's collection entirely for the men's. And I'm not all that tall, only 5'7". My theory is, the founder is Quebecois, and Quebec women are small - I mean, really tiny (often in terms of both frame and height) - and that's the reason.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

army_mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I agree. Definitely run small. Before I buy anything Patagonia, I go to their website to see if it is 'regular' or 'slim' fit (other stores never tend to tell you that in the description). It seems that most of their stuff is the slim fit which equals size up at least one size!
    Roo (12/08)
    Bear (7/15)
    (10/16)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yes they do - and in particular, I find them to run short. I am an XS and made the mistake of getting an XS fleece hoodie - it looks like it shrunk in the wash. I also have a size S synchilla jacket which fits much better.

jess_g is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks everyone. I love the jacket that I got. It is pretty big but I am still going to wear it. I am now on the hunt for a medium sized one too maybe in purple or blue.

Jessica.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum View Post
    My theory is, the founder is Quebecois, and Quebec women are small - I mean, really tiny (often in terms of both frame and height) - and that's the reason.
    My theory for wetsuits is that the male designers all think women are DDs. Every wet suit I tried on would be huge in the chest, but fit well elsewhere. I had to get my wetsuit altered in the chest as it was just too big and would let extra water get in...DH did tell me I could get a boob job to fill it out - just jokingly though.

OP, Patagonia = small. But I did have to size down with one fleece, but I think that's an anomaly.