Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Assuming its not over lunch or dinner hour than I would be totally fine with it.

Just write on the invitation "cake and fruit to be served". or "cupcakes to be served". That way people will know.
    Mom to DD 7/06, DS1 8/08 & DS2 9/11!

the pump it up parties we have been to have always had just a bag of chips, juice box and then cake served after they played. It was perfect and I didn't see the need for additional food since you are only in the party room for such a short time.

JMS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I agree that as long as it's not a mealtime, pizza isn' t necessary. I just had a similar party for DD's 7th birthday. I wanted to share a surprising way I could have saved a little money. I brought tons of juice boxes (100% juice, Juicy Juice from Costco) for 22 kids. I also brought a 1/2 case of bottled water for any parents staying. EVERY kid wanted a water bottle. I could have just bought a case of those small sized water bottles from Costco and saved the money spent on juice boxes, not to mention that it's healthier.
    JMS
    Mommy to DD "HH" 2004
    and DS1 "MH" 2005
    & DS2 "JJH" - My very Irish baby!

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think cupcakes and snacks would be fine since it will be an off time. I would make sure that the snacks are alright to serve though cause the kids will probably be hungry after all the running around and jumping.

brgnmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would definitely not be disappointed w/ a cake-only party in the afternoon. you are already holding DD's birthday party at a great venue. fruits would be a nice addition, but not necessary. you probably already know this but costco sells fruits like grapes in a larger quantity for a reasonable price, and I know that sprouts - farmer's market has decent specials on different fruits every week.

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    There's usually a limited time to eat anyway- just go with cake.

Beth
    As long as it's not at mealtime, given what Beth pointed out, I'd just as soon they not have to rush like crazy to eat pizza, etc., then have cake. The eating part always feels like such mad panic to me that I'd prefer to have birthday cake and call it a day.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

lcarlson90 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would not do the 3 - 5 time slot unless you are going to do cake first. Giving the kids cake at 5 pm would be too close to dinner and parents might not like that. I think that it's fine to just do cake as long as it doesn't interfere w/ normal meal times.
    Gavin 7.30.08
    Dylan 2.24.05

SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think 1-3 is a great time for a snack party as well. 3-5 is okay too but I know a lot of families that eat dinner at 5-6 as well...so that might be tough...but really not a huge deal.

And like PP said they are there to play and run not eat/snack.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Another vote for just cake. I'd keep it as simple as possible (cupcakes/cake) and juice boxes since you are spending more on the venue.
    K

boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Just make sure it is noted on the invite that it is just snacks and cake...the 1-3 slot made me wonder of parents running errands, etc. thinking that LO will eat at the party.

As long as it's noted, sounds great!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast