Default need advice on hitting twins

Hi, my twins just turned one. They are getting in the habit of hitting and slapping each other. What is the best way to get them to stop? We tell them "No, it hurts" but they just repeat "no" back to us and continue to hit each other. Advice please!!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

At that age, I said "No hitting" and physically separated them. And redirect, redirect, redirect. And yes, it's exhausting Sometimes I'd actually keep them on opposite sides of a baby gate!

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    At that age, I said "No hitting" and physically separated them. And redirect, redirect, redirect. And yes, it's exhausting
    Same here. I think they a little young to grasp the "not nice" concept, so separating them is the way to go. I would always say "not nice" so it would eventually click. Our issues wasn't hitting, it was hair pulling.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yep, physically separating them was the only thing that worked at that age. And I did start time outs at that point. I would say "no hitting" and put the offender in the pack 'n play for a couple minutes. Like pp, redirecting and distracting.

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our issue was (and still is) biting. At that age I just said - no biting and redirected. I think they are a bit young to understand time outs. We just started now at age 2 to be more consistent with time outs. The biter is put in her crib for two minutes.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

Default ours are biting now too!

thanks for the advice! i will try just separating and maybe time out in the playard. so far, the timeouts don't seem to work because they enjoy being in there. i guess i have to remove all their toys in there first- lol!