Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teeth Grinding?

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Teeth Grinding?

So after a couple weeks of tooth pain that at first I thought was a migraine, then a sinus infection the dentist thinks I am giving myself pain from clenching and grinding my teeth.

I bought a guard from Walmart but it hurt forming it and I couldn't fall asleep wearing it. This morning I woke up with bad tooth pain. Ibuprophen knocks it out really quickly though. I have also been having a lot of neck pain. Possibly related?

I am reading a lot about people taking Magnesium supplements and it helping this issue. Also Vitamin B and yoga are coming up when I'm googling. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm a teeth grinder. I bit the bullet and got a mouth guard made specifically for me. it was about $400-$500. I can't sleep without it now. Very comfortable and helps a lot. I've never heard of magnesium supplements for this.

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our dentist says it's genetic (DH is a grinder), so it's likely that you have always been one. If an OTC guard didn't work, maybe try a different kind of guard? Or have a dentist make one?

Oh, here is an unconventional guard that DH used once--he didn't mind it, but he hasn't minded any.
    http://www.amazon.com/DenTek-Comfort...f=pd_sbs_hpc_5
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

mypa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm such a bad grinder that I have cracked/chipped several teeth in the past few years. The OTC ones never fit well enough to work for me. The custom made ones from the dentist fits like a glove and now I can't sleep without it. However, even those night guards I have chewed/cracked right through. Now the dentist makes it even thicker for me and those have held up. Fortunately my insurance pays 80% so out of pocket is under $100.

I know people blame grinding to stress but I have been grinding my teeth for as long as I can remember regardless of the level of stress in my life. However, when my sleep apnea was at its worst my grinding did escalate to a new level.

BTW, the thicker night guard I'm using also opens the mouth a bit so it does help relax the jaw.

Grinding your teeth can also be a symptom of sleep problems such as sleep apnea.
    Mary

DS Summer '05
    DD Fall '08

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

a few years ago my dentist told me that i grind my teeth, and recommended i get a mouthguard to wear at night. it had to be custom-made (they had to make a mold of my teeth and all that). at the time i was in grad school and didn't have dental insurance and i paid for it out of pocket..i think it was about $300. i must admit when i wore it i felt like i slept better at night.

i know other people just buy generic ones, though i've never tried those.

chays is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I flattened all 4 of my canines with my grinding. At one point I thought that I would need a root canal, my teeth hurt so badly.

The dentist had to lenthen my canines to improve my bite and I also sleep with a custom night-guard and it is wonderful. I will say, though...it gives really bad morning mouth!! I haven't yet found a way to prevent that.
    chays

DS1 2003
    DD 2006
    DS2 2009

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You'll need a custom mouthguard that you have to get through your dentist. They are super pricey and insurance doesn't typically cover them (which makes me so mad). I paid about $700 out of pocket for mine, and it makes a big difference...I sleep better at night (once I got used to it) and it has reduced jaw and tooth pain. As long as you don't lose it, you'll keep it for life

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I grind even when I'm healthy and happy. It's not a stress overload thing. I like my WalMart mouth guard-- you boil it then bite down when it's hot and it forms to your teeth. Is that the kind you tried? If not, I'd give it a shot, it's $20ish.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

I am a teeth grinder. My dentist wanted to make a custom fit night guard for me, but it was like 600 dollars.

I picked up a kind at Target, but it is a little bulky in my mouth. I got used to it. But, I saw another kind in Target, it was a very slim one (it was also the most expensive one they had). But, like I said, it was kind of small, it had pads back where the molars are, but the rest of the gaurd was very thin.

When I need to buy another guard, I'm getting this one.

ETA: I think this is the one:

http://www.target.com/DenTek-Comfort...n&frombrowse=0

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by artvandalay View Post
    I am a teeth grinder. My dentist wanted to make a custom fit night guard for me, but it was like 600 dollars.

I picked up a kind at Target, but it is a little bulky in my mouth. I got used to it. But, I saw another kind in Target, it was a very slim one (it was also the most expensive one they had). But, like I said, it was kind of small, it had pads back where the molars are, but the rest of the gaurd was very thin.

When I need to buy another guard, I'm getting this one.
    that's the dentek I linked to above. DS had one and didn't mind it. I thought it was odd that it was the most expensive when I looked for him.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast