Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Would a daycare like this make you a little nervous? Even though it sounds fun?

I'm looking for a new daycare for my DD who will be starting Kindergarten in the fall. Her current daycare is not near our house so does not serve our neighborhood school. So I found out from a friend (another mom, about a home daycare she uses. She sends her older DD there and her younger DD goes to my DD's daycare, and will go to K with my DD in the fall. She will go to this daycare in the fall with her sister, for afterschool care (when K starts).

So the woman does a summer program. She hires a university early childhood education student to help her in the summer. She does field trips 2x a week. Not exactly sure what, but real fun stuff according to my friend.

We live in a very outdoorsy area. I'm in Vermont if that helps you picture it at all. This woman brings the kids canoeing right down the road from her house. They go swimming and it sounds like they do it at least a few days a week (we live pretty much right on a lake). She has 2 vehicles that she uses to transport the kids in. According to my friend, one is a station wagon (not sure what kind yet) and the other is a larger van. So I am imagining that they use the vehicles at least 2x a week for the fieldtrips.

So in terms of fun, this place sounds great. But I'm a tad nervous about all the water activities (DD cant swim). But I would love to get her lessons. I obviously WOH so scheduling can be an issue with this. And also a little nervous about someone else driving her around. But according to my mom friend, the student she hired last year was fantastic and she hopes to have her back this summer.

She takes 12 kids in the summer. I believe she starts at age 3+, but I get the feeling that most of the kids are older. Not many 3 year olds. DD will be 6 in November.

I am going to meet her on Monday, and will find out more about the field trips and swimming, transportation, etc...I imagine she must have booster seats? Or we could provide her with a carseat? DD does not ride in a booster at home, but will be 5.5 this summer so I feel like it would probably be OK if she did.

According to the state website this daycare doesnt have any infractions or anything like that. And my friend says its great. She was hesitant to put her DD there at age 3, because the woman has a raised ranch and would go upstairs to prepare snacks/lunch and she didnt like the idea of a 3 year old unsupervised, but at age 5 she was OK with that (and I am too). I leave my kids in the basement playroom by themselves.

Also, I would not be ending my almost 3 year old son there, just my 5.5 year old DD.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It sounds like a mini-summer camp to me, but the only thing that worries me is the 6:1 ratio for the water activities. I would want to know about lifeguard certification and if there are other adults present on these field trips (e.g., lifeguard at a pool). Also if the kids wear lifejackets.

Water makes me nervous when it comes to kids because things can happen so fast. JMHO.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

No way, I wouldn't feel comfortable with it at all! Too low of a teacher/student ration IMHO especially since she will be transporting the child and around water.

Ann

Nope, no way!!!!!!! When it comes to water, I want one on one adult supervision. With a 3 year old non swimmer, there needs to be an adult physically holding the child the ENTIRE time. Floaties and/or water wings are not enough.

Yes, it would make me nervous, especially since you said your DD can't swim. I have a 6 year old who can't swim (we've enrolled him in a swimming class and it did not go well) and I wouldn't put him in a class like this.

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

12 kids and two adults canoeing? Not a chance. I don't care if my kid was training to be an olympic swimmer - I just think it's too risky.
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

Well, to be fair, "swimming" might just mean they are playing on the beach and wading. She doesnt have a pool or anything...The canoeing makes me nervous a little. I guess I will find out more on Monday.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Quote Originally Posted by LMPC View Post
    It sounds like a mini-summer camp to me, but the only thing that worries me is the 6:1 ratio for the water activities. I would want to know about lifeguard certification and if there are other adults present on these field trips (e.g., lifeguard at a pool). Also if the kids wear lifejackets.

Water makes me nervous when it comes to kids because things can happen so fast. JMHO.
    Even in a group of 1:1 mom to kid, a 30 second attention deficit can lead to a tragedy. But I've witnessed a close call & am a little hyper-sensitive about water activities because of it. Also - a pool is different than a river or lake. In a pool if a kid goes under, you know where they are right away...not necessarily in natural water with murkiness, possible currents, etc.
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

That is so true about the murkiness of a lake. Ugh. This is making me uneasy. What if she requires them to wear life jackets the whole time?

I dont have any hesitations for the after-school care, because then they wont be out doing field trips and swimming stuff. But I kind of wanted her to not have to start a new daycare + Kindergarten all in the same week. Going for the summer would allow her to be used to the new daycare before school started. And she would have a good friend going there with her.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would be fine with that type of daycare, if it were mostly older kids -- 16 3yos and 2 teachers isn't enough IMO. But mostly schoolaged, fine by me. Both my kids are excellent swimmers and I would provide PFDs for them. FWIW, my kids would love that camp!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast