Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    That is so true about the murkiness of a lake. Ugh. This is making me uneasy. What if she requires them to wear life jackets the whole time?

I would imagine she would make them wear life jackets. I guess water just makes me nervous. If my kids are near water, I want to be there.

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ok, so I just found my state's home daycare regulations and in the safety section it said that children under the age of 5 needed to be in a child safety seat, but that children over 5 can be restrained using a safety belt - WTF? I think my state has pretty good carseat laws. Its "All kids who weigh over 20 pounds and fall in between the ages of one and eight must ride in either a booster or a child safety seat." So does the home daycare regulations that say "safety belt" really mean just a safety belt? Or are they really saying that they need to be in a booster seat, restrained by a safety belt?
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Sounds like it would be great you would just need to get DD in swim lessons asap. I understand the hesitation about water activities but really I would think of it as great motivation to get the swimming lessons done and give DD some opportunities for water activities so she does learn to be safe and how to handle it. When you talk to the woman just get more details and see what she says when you tell her DD can't swim she may not want to take a non-swimmer with all of the water activities they do.

I wouldn't rule out that daycare at all until you meet the lady and see it for yourself. It sounds like wonderful fun. And if you feel that the safety points are met and you have an overall good feeling about it, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try. I would want my child in a pdf on a murky lake (we make our kids wear them on the lake even when they are with us and DS1 is a good swimmer). And I would want my kid in a booster even if I had to provide it.

I can't imagine that the kids are traveling without atleast boosters, but then again, I see so many parents load their kids up in cars and travel without them "for short distances" that not much surprises me anymore regarding kids and cars.

DS1 old daycare (that we loved) hired college kids from a local university, usually from the early child development program. They were awesome and had so much energy to play so that also wouldn't be a concern for me.

Sorry to ramble but I just wanted to let you know that I wouldn't mark it off just because of the swimming and canoeing until you heard how it all works. I'd rather my kids out doing things like that than stuck inside a daycare room or someone's house all day even if it meant a slightly higher risk.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    I wouldn't rule out that daycare at all until you meet the lady and see it for yourself. It sounds like wonderful fun. And if you feel that the safety points are met and you have an overall good feeling about it, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try. I would want my child in a pdf on a murky lake (we make our kids wear them on the lake even when they are with us and DS1 is a good swimmer). And I would want my kid in a booster even if I had to provide it.

I can't imagine that the kids are traveling without at least boosters, but then again, I see so many parents load their kids up in cars and travel without them "for short distances" that not much surprises me anymore regarding kids and cars.

DS1 old daycare (that we loved) hired college kids from a local university, usually from the early child development program. They were awesome and had so much energy to play so that also wouldn't be a concern for me.

Sorry to ramble but I just wanted to let you know that I wouldn't mark it off just because of the swimming and canoeing until you heard how it all works. I'd rather my kids out doing things like that than stuck inside a daycare room or someone's house all day even if it meant a slightly higher risk.
    Yes, I would definitely want at least a booster also, even if I had to provide it. I just cant imagine that a state with a law that you had to be in a booster until age 8 would allow a home daycare to just use a seatbelt. I am thinking they just worded that badly and that they really mean a seatbelt that is securing a booster seat?

I think the outdoor fun is great. Her current daycare is more of a "center" but they are outside playing and taking nature walks thru the woods all the time. But it doesnt serve her new kindergarten. I am hoping I like this woman and feel she will provide a safe environment.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    Yes, I would definitely want at least a booster also, even if I had to provide it. I just cant imagine that a state with a law that you had to be in a booster until age 8 would allow a home daycare to just use a seatbelt. I am thinking they just worded that badly and that they really mean a seatbelt that is securing a booster seat?
    My guess would be that your state's booster seat law is more recent than the home daycare regulations. The day care regulations have probably not been updated since the booster seat law went into effect. In general, newer laws supercede older regulations. So your daycare provider should be following the law, since she is using regular vehicles (daycares using a mini-bus may be exempt from the booster law).

As for the water activities, I would want to know that she and/or her employee are certified as Lifeguards or Water Safety Instructors and have first aid/CPR training. i would also want to know that the children use PFDs when in and around the water.

Beyond that, I think you should go with what your Mommy gut says after you meet with the woman.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

If they are certified lifeguards, I would feel better, but I can't even take my 2 kids in a canoe with me safely (and I was a lifeguard and both kids are in PFD's). I would take my 6 year old and another 6 year old, but 3 year olds are not safe!
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

My son has been going to an afterschool program and summer daycamp that sounds just like this this for the past two years. 8 or 10 kids, 2 adults, driving around the area in biodiesel vans, going to do nature adventures. They swim, boat, make campfires, get super muddy, etc. After meeting the director, seeing how they run things, I've been very comfortable with it.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think it sounds like it could be fun. I would talk with the provider and ask your questions. I would imagine that she has the children use life jackets and that is what I would provide for my child if it was optional.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

Quote Originally Posted by kdeunc View Post
    I think it sounds like it could be fun. I would talk with the provider and ask your questions. I would imagine that she has the children use life jackets and that is what I would provide for my child if it was optional.
    Even with a life jacket, an adult should have a hand on every child at all times for all non swimmers. I was a lifeguard and a Water Safety Instructor for 10 years. A child should never be left to float alone without an adult holding on until they can swim completely independently.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast