Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kerridean View Post
    Even with a life jacket, an adult should have a hand on every child at all times for all non swimmers. I was a lifeguard and a Water Safety Instructor for 10 years. A child should never be left to float alone without an adult holding on until they can swim completely independently.
    I agree. I didn't mean to imply life jacket in lieu of adult contact. I would never use a life jacket without an adult in a body of water. I use them on my children walking along a dock or playing at the edge of the ocean if it is rough. For me it is a "keep your head above water until I can snatch you out".
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well I met with this home daycare lady. She was very nice. Her youngest child she takes care of is 3. There is only 1 3 year old. She has 2 5 year olds that are not in K yet. I know of at least 2 more 5 year olds she would have (my DD and DD's friend). After that the rest of the kids are in school with the oldest being a 10 year old girl.

She provides booster/car seats. I asked about field trips and she brings them to parks, to the fish hatchery on the lake, to the beach (about 1 mile form my house), to Ben&Jerrys factory, to various playgrounds, to tourist farms. I asked about swimming and life jackets. She doesnt make them wear them because the kids are learning to swim. Apparantly she brings them to the town beach for swim lessons (our town offers these in the summer). So I could sign my kid up and she would cart her there and back. Which is nice since I have wanted to do that, but I work. She will have child wear life vest or something similar if the parent requests it. She said when they go to the beach one of the adults will be in the water with the children who want to swim, and one will stay on the sand with the non-swimming kids. She makes them wear a "daycare" uniform t-shirt for any excursions they do. She has been in business since 1983.

She also brings them canoeing. I asked about this and she said she brings out 2 children at a time. The other adult "helper" is always on shore watching. The kids of course wear life jackets. So short quick trips in the canoe so that each child can have a turn if they want. We have a sailboat ourselves and my DD is skittish about it so I can see her declining the canoe ride.

I'm going to do it. I gave her a $25 deposit. My daughter will be with one of her best friends from her current daycare and this little girl's older sister also goes to this woman's program after-school & summers. I love our current daycare, but they do not service our neighborhood school. And I would like my DD to not have to start a new daycare + Kindergarten all in the same week. I think I am going to try to do some swimming lessons at the Y before the summer and also provide her with some type of flotation device/live vest. My DD is not a risk-taker and will not venture out in the water without having an adult holding her.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

tmahanes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think it sounds like a blast!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk
    Tara

DS - B 2/10

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Sounds like fun!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I want to go!!
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3