alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Need (family) birthday party ideas for Easter weekend

DD's birthday is close to Easter this year and for the family get together we will do it on Easter (we typically host Easter anyway). Any thoughts to a theme? DD turns 6 and said she wanted princess but I thought maybe for the home party I could do something else since she is having a party w/ her class. I wanted to do a Lego themed party for her but she is meh on it so I thought maybe for the family party we could incoroprate some Lego stuff.

Or theme it around spring colors...pinks, green, yellow

We always do an Egg Hunt for Easter....we could do some birthday related "stuffers" (what though?)

We are planning a party for her school friends another weekend at a gymnastics place...is it weird to do a princess theme (really just plates, balloons, cupcakes) when the boys are invited too? The main part is not princess but gymnastics. I have to brainstorm goodybag items...I don't want BOC but need something good for both genders.

I do have these ribbon wand things that I found at Discount School Supply like 3 years ago super cheap.

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...=&Brand=&Price= Basically a stick with a long piece of nylon fabric attached, but it is decent quality. I was going to have a carnival party several years ago and never did....would this be appropriate for this age group in the party bag?

Sorry I'm all over the place....but I'd love someone to brainstorm with me
    Last edited by alien_host; 03-01-2011 at 01:37 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'll have to think a bit here. But, on the subject of princess party if boys are there- imo, the party is for the b-day child and it's totally ok to girl it up.

Beth

sorry to be a PITA and bump this up, but I could use some ideas

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What about baby animals? You could pick a couple you like and try to find paper goods to match. Maybe do plastic animals like zoobies and animal stickers in some of the eggs. Someone on another thread mentioned sidewalk chalk in the eggs. My DC are younger so not sure what is age appropriate for 6 year olds.

I couldn't find them on the Lego site, but I've heard that the Lego stores have small Easter sets, a bunny and an Easter basket for $4.99 each. I believe it's double VIP points until March 15th. Those would be fun favors for your family party. I don't know what you could fill the Easter eggs with....maybe a hodge podge of fun stuff...punch balloons, Easter stickers, jelly beans, etc. Have you checked the Target dollar spot or Easter section?

For your DD's gymnastics party, IMO it's fine to do a princess theme even though there will be boys there. Maybe you can incorporate a more "boyish" color, matching an accent color in whatever decor you get (like princess plates with pink and dark purple plates and balloons). That way, it's not so foo-foo princess and the boys can pick purple plates if they so choose?

We have the same swirling streamers from Discount School Supply and I think they would make great favors. My 6y/o DS (and 3y/o DD) would love get that in a goody bag. If you wanted to add some other things, little trophies or medals might be fun.

Good luck! They both sound like really fun parties!
    Andrea
    DS1 '04
    DD '07
    DS2 '09

So this isn't legos (but if your DD is meh on legos, I probably wouldn't really push them--just choose something you know she likes), but how about an Easter/Spring tea party for the family party? Your DD sounds like she leans toward the girly stuff, and this could be easy and fun to pull off. Set a pretty table with fresh spring flowers, serve tea in fancy cups, have plates of mini cucumber and chicken salad sandwiches, fruit salad, and some decorated cookies or petit fours in spring colors or shapes. If family like grandmothers and aunts are going to be there, I'd think they'd love it :-)

If by "family" you mean lots of little cousins, then this may or may not work for you. If you've got younger cousins to entertain, you could do a bunny themed party (serve cupcakes with Peeps on top, do the bunny hop, play hopscotch, give bunny ears for favors, etc.).
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11

Thanks for the replies. DD does love lego but I thinks she was against it for a party w/ her classmates, which is fine since that doesn't go with the place anyway...I think I could incorporate into the family party w/out making it an actual "theme".

DD now tells me she wants Tinkerbell for her classmate party...I better not buy anything yet!

BUT for our home/family party (cousins are 2, 5 and then 2 teens) I have these: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=40005-1 which I got last year for $2. I was thinking of using them as place card holders for the kids (which means we assemble them). This was BEFORE I realized DD's birthday was right after easter....we host easter so I bought them thinking they would be fun.

They do have this http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=40017-1 now which I could use for the adults. But it's $5 a pop, but cute. I could do one per couple and then they'd give them to the kids/grandkids but they could be cute decorations.

Williams-Sonoma has these cute Easter cupcake toppers/papers http://www.williams-sonoma.com/searc...alNav-_-Button

I'm thinking pastel colored plates etc. I also love the "tea party" idea, although I usually serve a more substantial Easter meal. I could decorate w/ tulips and maybe get some fancy teapots to hold them at a yardsale or something.

I like the "bunny" theme too....I'm trying not to tip her party too much to the Easter theme but I think it would still be fun.

I need to check the stores for Easter papergoods and see what I find. I think I saw one with pretty tulip plates. I'll see what I can find and see what DD thinks. She really loves any party.

Oh and I'm happy to hear those Discount School Supply Streamer things are good. I'll use those and maybe do a Pez dispenser or stickers, then I could get more girl and boy themed ones.

Thank you, and more ideas are welcomed....anything on Etsy I should look at?

I wouldn't bother with a theme for the family party, honestly. Just do spring stuff for colors.

I think it is just fine to have a girly theme for a party with boys. And this streamers sound like fun! My ds would enjoy one.

Catherine

My sister's birthday is around Easter and was ON Easter one year.

I remember having a special bunny cake and these delicious "birds nest" treats that fit both themes.

The cake is made using 2 round cakes (same size). One round is the head, the other you cut into 3 pieces. One "Sliver" from each side of the round makes up the ears, and the remaining piece is a bow tie. (this is basically it) http://www.countrymom.com/sweets/bunny-cake.html

The bird's nest snacks used a carmely mixture and rice cereal that you shaped into nests, and you added jelly beans as the eggs.

Just some ideas that incorporate the Easter theme with the birthday...