View Poll Results: Do you use a shopping cart cover?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, every time

32 32.32%
  • No, never

41 41.41%
  • Occasionally

21 21.21%
  • Other

5 5.05%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

when not baby-wearing, we use this:

http://www.leapsandbounds.com/catalo...mSource=Search

I'd never mess with a cover but this really small. It keeps Sprog sitting straight up and she can't reach the edge to chew. She was about 10 months when we got it.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Put me in the never category. Not one single time in 7.5 years of parenting. If my child was immune compromised I would bring a pack of disinfecting wipes with me. Those are shown to be more effective than the covers. Also, do you wash the cover between use? The covers are touching the seats that we don't want our kids to touch so I always wondered. We just wash our hands a lot and call it good. If a store provides wipes, we use them. I have two very healthy kids though and have never had any serious illnesses, knock on wood, so my approach is likely guided by that. If I had kids that were frequently getting sick, I might be pro-cover.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have one and brought it to the store a few times early on but haven't bothered since. It takes so long to gather all the other stuff I need (and we are very organized) that hauling another item just isn't a priority. When he was tiny the extra padding kept him a bit more stable. He sits in the cart seat every time now, sometimes I grab a wipe if they are handy.

FWIW he's rarely been sick and if he is its usually traceable to another kid. We wash hands a lot but I'm not very germaphobic. Of course this morning at Target he was walking his little bunny crackers along the cart handle - yuck. But that Target's only been open a week and the carts were out in the rain, so probably still less germy than many other surfaces we deal with every day.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

With my first I bought a cheesy one from BRU (remember...this was over 8 years ago) when he outgrew the infant car seat - and that rarely fit in any baskets anyhow. It didn't fit well, didn't fit many carts and didn't cover much. I pretty much gave up and did most shopping with a stroller, on my own or threw caution to the wind and used it without. LOL. Plus he was not a mouthy-baby. Then the great flu outbreak...I think he was nearly 3 years old, but that winter HEALTHY older children and adults were dying from the flu. It scared the heck out of me, so I found a woman who made and sold the big puffy style (that is more common now) on eBay (thanks to BBBers!). I used that one until I had a baby girl warranting a cutey baby girl one. LOL. I bought another from her. This girly put EVERYTHING in her mouth...she would even pull the cart cover from the sides to try to mouth the sides of the carts. Shudder. So it lived in my car and was used often.

I still have it but she's 5 now and all carts but Target and Costco are too small for her. I haven't parted with the cover, but probably soon. It sits in my garage next to my beloved Mac stoller - taunting me.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

We used a shopping cart cover until my kid was probably 1.5 years old.
    She never was a person to lick or slobber over the carts and at 1.5, she knew not to put anything into her mouth. We do wipe hands and wipe the area before we put her in the cart though.
    Mom, Wife and Finder of lost items
    AP-er, Breastfeeder, Babywearing, No Circ Mama

tmahanes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I use it partly because carts are dirty and mostly because it looks way more comfy and I know I will always have a buckle that is not broken.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk
    Tara

DS - B 2/10

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by tmahanes View Post
    I use it partly because carts are dirty and mostly because it looks way more comfy and I know I will always have a buckle that is not broken.

Jelly Bean stayed always wanted to stand if I didn't use the cover, even after I found a cart with a working buckle. With the cover, she didn't try standing.

Ha is the baby who mouths EVERYTHING.

Count me in the "I use it so often I bought one for each car" camp. We've been happy with the Eddie Bauer version sold at Target.
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

Ha is the baby who mouths EVERYTHING.
    You mean, there are babies who DON'T do this?!! I can't even imagine...
    Mommy to DS 2/10 and furbaby 7/08.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by tmahanes View Post

DD2 is going through a stage where anything round goes in her mouth including shopping cart handles so until this stops I'll be using it for most grocery shopping trips, unless she is asleep and then she goes in the Beco.

I do think a lot like Katie though (lots and lots of hand washing, and DD1 loves to clean the cart with wipes) so that's why this was orginally one of those "what the hell I am going to use this for" items prior to getting mine for free.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-14-2011 at 02:11 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No, we don't use a shopping cart cover.

No, we don't own one.

No, we didn't register for one.

I did see one that has wrap-around "arms" that I'd be interested in because sometimes the safety belts don't work, but, honestly, I don't always have the time or patience to put anything but DD in the cart.

I think I may just start carrying wipes for the germs and an extra beach towel for the seat in the summertime.

(Of course, Little Miss is grinning at me while she picks up & eats Cheerios from the floor, so maybe I don't have to worry so much about germs.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast