Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Wall-mounted coat hooks, or a kid-size coat tree?

In a fit of organization, I'm redoing the front part of our office into a mud room. I need a place where the kids can hang their coats and put their things away themselves.

I can't decide if I want to wall-mount some hooks or get a kids coat tree. My kids are 21 months and 3.5 years old so they can't reach very high yet, but whatever we do I want them to be able to reach it now.

I could get a kids coat tree for now, and mount some more permanent hooks up higher on the wall later. I think I'd prefer to have hooks mounted on the wall, but I'm worried that if I install them now, before long they will be too short. Help me with my indecision!
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

I would prefer wall mounted hooks. I can just see the tree getting knocked over plus it takes up floor space.
    Mama to 3

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If you opt for hooks, I don't know how many you want/need, but one thought is to attach them to a longer board or buy something with several hooks already on it. That way you'd only have maybe 2 holes in your wall vs. a bunch if you are going to opt for several hooks, kwim?
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have something similar to these from the Company Store for DS. The ones we have are trains, but they don't make them any more.
    http://www.thecompanystore.com/Big-R...cor-wall-hooks

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We use wall-mounted hooks from IKEA and they work very well (and won't tip over like a coat tree ). We got a rack that had hooks underneath and mounted one lower for the kids and one higher for DH and I.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Octobermommy View Post
    I would prefer wall mounted hooks. I can just see the tree getting knocked over plus it takes up floor space.
    YES, these are my two worries about a coat tree exactly!
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    If you opt for hooks, I don't know how many you want/need, but one thought is to attach them to a longer board or buy something with several hooks already on it. That way you'd only have maybe 2 holes in your wall vs. a bunch if you are going to opt for several hooks, kwim?
    That's true - I could always just move it up later and fill in the holes (or hang something else over them!)
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    We have something similar to these from the Company Store for DS. The ones we have are trains, but they don't make them any more.
    http://www.thecompanystore.com/Big-R...cor-wall-hooks
    Those hooks are adorable! Now I'm thinking DS needs some in his room too
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

OMG, lots of ideas so quickly, you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
    We use wall-mounted hooks from IKEA and they work very well (and won't tip over like a coat tree ). We got a rack that had hooks underneath and mounted one lower for the kids and one higher for DH and I.

I don't know why I didn't think of this - it would be nice to have a shelf above to throw hats/gloves etc...

I'm thinking that I will mount one set low for the kids, and one high for adults (and the shoe rack will be directly underneath the adult one). Off to search for the right hooks now!
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

I would go with Command Hooks (is that the right name? The kind that are removable and don't put a hole in the wall)

I put up 3 Command hooks near our regular coat rack so that my boys could hang their coats. I got the kind that can have up to 5lbs on them. They have different hooks, with different strengths - even ones that look kind of fancy (pewter finish).

The nice thing about them is that when your kids grow, and you need to move the hooks up, they include extra sticky adhesive strips, so you can reposition them.

The ones we have now are really sturdy and get used daily

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast