Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default CD'ing a newborn & a toddler...

anybody BTDT? with baby #2 coming in the next few weeks, i just want to make sure i have everything i need and am not missing anything major. i am planning to use all the stuff I used for DS, though i've just bought some extra stuff (snappis, covers, pail liner). the following is my stash so far:

*24 newborn prefolds (GMD orange-edge) plus 6 nb covers

*24 size small prefolds (GMD yellow-edge) plus 5 small covers

*12 size medium prefolds (GMD red-edge) plus 7 medium covers (DS is using this size now)

*5 Snappies

*Country Save detergent

*2 large mommy's touch diaper pail liners (one in each room)

*Imse Vimse flushable liners

*mini-shower (just bought this, haven't installed yet)

is there anything else i should get? any tips/suggestions? i'm hoping to get away with doing diaper laundry every other day as i have been doing so far with DS's diapers. also, not sure if its' worth getting the large or toddler size prefolds/covers for DS at this point..i'm hoping the red-edge ones can last until he goes to pullups or is PT'ed...
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 03-02-2011 at 06:20 PM.

Wipes? And I'd probably add 2 more pail liners, so that you have liners in the pail while the other liners are in the wash. You'll definitely need more medium prefolds & probably covers if your DS is still in them when the baby gets to that size, but that's months down the road, so I wouldn't worry about it now. Do you need wetbags for the diaper bag? Otheriwse, looks good!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

good point about the medium prefolds, DS was in already in medium size at about 5 mos, and i don't think a dozen will cut it for 2 kids (unless i want to be doing laundry every day)!

about wipes, we just use water/cotton balls in the newborn stage and then disposable wipes, so we're good there. and for wetbags, we normally just use sposies when we go out.

the extra pail liners is a good idea. i didn't think of that. so far we've been getting away with just one, but indeed it's annoying when i forget to get the pail liner & diapers from the dryer in the mornings and i don't have anywhere to toss a dirty diaper or cover.

I am truly amazed that you managed to get by with cotton balls at the newborn stage That watery poop was everywhere! We had 36 cloth wipes and went through them every two days because of the mess.

Just think of how much money you would save if you used cloth Easy peasy too. Just toss them in the pail with your diapers and you're done! Plus, you can get by with using one cloth wipe for every 2 sposie wipes because they are more efficient at cleaning. That's just my 2 cents worth

I like Sherpa/Velour combo wipes. Both of these ladies are great about doing custom orders if they are out of stock of things.
    http://hyenacart.com/smallwonderswipes/index.php?c=12
    http://hyenacart.com/QuiltersNappies/

Other than that, I think you're set for the time being (maybe more pail liners as the pp. said). And more red edge when you need them of course, but that's later.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Sounds good! Ditto the extra pail liners though.

Also, just remember that you'll have a lot more diapers in the machine and you don't want it to be too full or else they won't get as clean. So you should still be able to do every other day, but just make sure not to overfill the washer!

DS was in red edge until he was almost 2 but he was very narrow and small. I have browns for him but they were always way too big!
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That sounds like a great stash! I loved loved loved prefolds with a newborn and honestly I had I continued that's what I would've done for the weekends, and I most likely would've done the GMD fitted for daycare.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

thanx everyone for the replies! about cloth wipes..now i'm intrigued after looking at those hyenacart links...those do like they would be more gentle on a baby's bottom for sure, disposable wipes were utterly useless in the first few weeks, as they were no match for that mustard-seedy BF newborn poop. what we did with DS is just use cotton balls heavily soaked (sopping) in warm water.

though i have a question, for those who use cloth wipes, how do you wet them..do you constantly have water at the changing table? and do you use just water or do you put some sort of soap in as well? with DS, we had help (grandparents) for the first month and so during diaper changes we usually had someone available to run and get some warm water in a little bowl, but we won't have as much help this time around, and plus with a toddler around it will be even harder.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I loved cloth wipes! I know some people keep a thermos of warm water at the table - that would work if you want warm water. . I actually kept a foam pump at the changing table with a mixture of baby shampoo/water - squirted that on the bum and used a moistened cloth wipe to clean, and then used a bulb syringe filled with water to rinse (I never warmed it up LOL), and then a dry cloth wipe to dry. The nicest thing is that cloth wipes never tear, and then you just toss it into the diaper pail with the dirty diapers so no worrying about a bin for cloth and another bin for disposable. They were also handy for wiping noses, etc.

ok, so you guys got me convinced. just ordered about 2 dozen or so cloth wipes from Gretchen (smallwonderswipes on hyenacart). i got a mixture of sherpa/velour, velour/velour and flannel/velour. there were some really cute prints!! i got a lot of girly prints/colors since i will use them mostly on my DD, but if they work out well i will order more in boy color/prints so i can use cloth wipes for DS too (lately pasty toddler poop sometimes requires 3 or 4 sposie wipes...ugh..and plus DS has been getting upset at coldness of wipes)

i also just ordered this Thermos pump pot from amazon, which GreenMountainDiapers had suggested, so i can just fill it once a day with warm water and it will stay warm throughout the day. using the bulb syringe to rinse sounds like a great idea too (we never use those things for anything else, lol).
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 03-04-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    ok, so you guys got me convinced. just ordered about 2 dozen or so cloth wipes from Gretchen (smallwonderswipes on hyenacart). i got a mixture of sherpa/velour, velour/velour and flannel/velour. there were some really cute prints!! i got a lot of girly prints/colors since i will use them mostly on my DD, but if they work out well i will order more in boy color/prints so i can use cloth wipes for DS too (lately pasty toddler poop sometimes requires 3 or 4 sposie wipes...ugh..and plus DS has been getting upset at coldness of wipes)

i also just ordered this Thermos pump pot from amazon, which GreenMountainDiapers had suggested, so i can just fill it once a day with warm water and it will stay warm throughout the day. using the bulb syringe to rinse sounds like a great idea too (we never use those things for anything else, lol).
    You will love them! Gretchen is super sweet, quick, and does great work. I've ordered all of our wipes from her, and they last and last and last. The wipes I bought for DS are very close to 3 years old (used them from birth) and are still so soft (and the $$ I've saved in 3 years is great too!). I keep disposable wipes in the diaper bag, and hate using them because it takes 3-4 disposable wipes to do what 1 cloth wipe can do! Enjoy
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast