Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

My sons have PBK lunch bags. Here's an ebay link that shows interior pictures of the exact model they have (Varsity): http://tinyurl.com/4k6a9t6

My older son has been using that lunch bag along with a Sistema water bottle and Sistema lunch cube from the Container Store for 2 years and they have worked GREAT. I'm still using the original ones I bought and really like using them. My younger son has also liked using them this year, and I pack our picnic lunches for our family with these containers too. Here's are the links:

Lunch Cube: http://tinyurl.com/4hlw8fj I've written about this cube before on here but I LOVE how easy it is to make lunches with these. Usually, I put a sandwich in the large area (fits perfectly), fruit in another side, and veggies in another side. But it also works to have crackers or a dry ingredient in one of those sides too--they don't mix together.

Hmmm....I can't find the water bottle on the Container Store website but here's a link to an item on ebay to show you what it looks like: http://tinyurl.com/4l9uf4y The water bottle comes in the same colors as the lunch cube and in two different sizes. Both sizes fit into the PBK lunch box and they also are skinny enough to fit into the elastic strap inside the lunch box as well as into the small water bottle holder on the outside of their PBK backpacks.

With the lunch cube in there, the water bottle fits perfectly so I don't put it inside the elastic strap--no need. The bottle doesn't leak if it's closed properly. The only thing to be aware of is that you can't fill it completely full or else some will squirt out when your kid goes to take the first sip. If you leave a little empty space at the top, then it's fine. It's not stainless, of course, but it is BPA free.

ETA that I only give my kids water in it, so I don't know how well soy milk would work in it. I do stick the bottles and caps in the dishwasher, so I assume that the milk should clean out OK. Of course, you'll want to include an ice pack (which the PBK bag does have a place for).

One more thing--their lunch cube fits perfectly into their PBK bags but it doesn't work well with the LL Bean critter lunch boxes, which are more narrow. I personally have had much better experience with the PBK lunch bags than the LL Bean ones. In fact, I have two Critter lunch boxes that I got rid of because the zippers became hard to use after only a year of use. Once my preschool son spilled milk in his bag (with different containers than the CS ones), and after that the zipper became nearly impossible to use. In contrast, I have washed his PBK lunch bag a couple of times in the washer and it's still going strong after two years and he will use it again next year. It's also very nice to be able to clip the lunch bag easily onto the outside of the backpack. (He's been using his PBK backpack for three years and will also use it again next year.)
    Last edited by justlearning; 03-06-2011 at 12:02 PM.

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It is definitely expensive, bit I was looking to reduce our plastic use, especially for food for the kids. Also stainless is very durable. IMO, the planet box is well made and I expect ds will use it for the remainder of grade school (he is in first grade) and that we may even be able to hand it down to dd. One of our laptop lunch boxes broke at the hinge after three years of use. So over the long run, I think the planet box will be cheaper.

Hope that helps,
    Catherine[/QUOTE]

yes, thanks so much for your thoughts. I really think this is just what I've been looking for...I'm just anxious about spending the $$.
    I really like that it is a one piece container that seems easy enough for my kiddo to open without help. Most of the other stainless sets I've seen are a variety of shapes/compartments that do not pack together, and seem prone to spilling.
    I don't want to use disposable--and am not in love with our laptop lunch set. With the newest scary info about plastics I think I would feel comfortable using this...

DS takes a Stainless Steel Funtainer to school every single day with Milk. It says cold. He's never had a leak.

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    Yes. I do not like the bag much, but the planet box is a different shape than most lunch systems and I couldn't find anything else I thought would work.

Hope that helps,
    Catherine
    Can you expand on why you don't like the bag?
    I have a wildkin lunch bag that I think will work...but the mesh drink pocket seems pretty great on the planet box one. I'm trying to decide if I should buy the 'set' or pay more later if I need too. (It's $10 for the bag in the set $15 ordered separately)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I've been wanting to get the planetboxes for awhile. The girls aren't in school but with going to the YMCA and the park and sometimes playdates elsewhere I pack their lunches 2 or 3 times a week. They are SO pricey though!

Maybe we need to email them and ask for a BBB coupon code!!!

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I love the planetboxes. I think my ds will be okay with not having Batman or Darth Vader on his lunch box!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I just emailed PlanetBox to ask if they might offer a coupon code for us. I will let you guys know what they say!

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Wow, I love the wow the Planet Box looks. Do the food items really stay separate? It seems like juices of fruits 9I noticed they show fruit salad) would seep into other compartments?
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBum View Post
    Can you expand on why you don't like the bag?
    I have a wildkin lunch bag that I think will work...but the mesh drink pocket seems pretty great on the planet box one. I'm trying to decide if I should buy the 'set' or pay more later if I need too. (It's $10 for the bag in the set $15 ordered separately)
    They have updated the bag since we got it. On ours the drink pouch is too small to hold a KK or stainless camelbak. I know they changed this and maybe it works now. Also the snack pouch is only big enough for one snack and I need to send two snacks. Our LlBean lunch bag is better on both counts. Also the planet box one is not machine washable (neither is the LLB one, though I have done it once to good effect). It is fairly structured as well so you can't really shove any extra stuff in there--silverware will fit but that's about it.

ETA. OT, but I was mistaken. DS's other lunch bag is not LLBean. It is LandsEnd.

Quote Originally Posted by bnme View Post
    Wow, I love the wow the Planet Box looks. Do the food items really stay separate? It seems like juices of fruits 9I noticed they show fruit salad) would seep into other compartments?
    Blackberries and raspberries always leak over and sometimes out. Pears, kiwi and blueberries have all been fine.

Catherine
    Last edited by crl; 03-06-2011 at 05:40 PM.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I tried some Fuel drink boxes a couple years ago and had bad leaks.

Here is their webpage: http://www.trudeaucorp.com/us/produc.../juice-bottle/. I had one that looked like the 250 sport bottle. Is this what you have?

We tried the Rubbermaid litterless, too, but had leaks. I tried the bottle that comes with the Laptop, but it's so narrow, it's really hard to clean, so I only used it with water. He wants to drink milk at lunch, so right now he buys it daily. I would much rather send it with him!

OP, DS uses a Laptop Lunch and I like it. He has a bag from Lands End and it's worked well. I put his snack in the outer pocket, which makes it easier for him. It's holding up well and I don't expect we'll need to replace it in September. We also have a Thermos Funtainer for bringing hot lunch.
    Yes, I got the smaller triangular ones and they don't leak at all. The bigger ones look like they would leak, b/c of the cap on it.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast