Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Anyone build a wooden playhouse from scratch?

I'm thinking of doing this with DH. DD1 is 2.5 old now and we have another on the way. Instead of buying a plastic playhouse I thought this would be a great gift for them to share for many years to come.

I'm in NY but not suburbs so we have limited space. Maybe something the size of 5x5. We want to build it on a platform so we can move it to another place if we want to.

Is this doable? Anyone build one successfully?
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

We are going to try this in a couple months.

http://ana-white.com/2010/06/furnitu...playhouse.html
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have friends who built a swingset and it was even more expensive than buying it as a set. Something to consider.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My DH built a giant fort structure at our previous house. It was basically a large fort (6x6 or 7x7?) with a playhouse underneath. The part underneath was partially enclosed with lattice/slats and then two sides were open. On one side he built a counter type thing out of wood and we hung an awning over it, which worked well as a farmers market/store when my kids played. The entire neighborhood loved it. We had cedar trees on our property and he used those for the uprights.

Family fun has an easy to build lattice play house (so not totally enclosed, probably not what you are looking for) on their site, or at least they used to.

here you go:
    http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/backy...yhouse-708794/
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you, I saw couple of playhouse kits for $399-499. I have to figure out with DH whether that'll be cheaper than we buying everything from scratch.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011