Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Playroom makeover FINAL update w/photos! It's done!

Final Update with pics- posts 23&24!

Update in post #16

Welcome to the world's most beige and boring playroom! This picture is old, but it's basically the same with some baby toys stashed in bins on the left wall. Behind you is a double door closet. The only decoration is some Toy Story clip art I printed and framed in a nesting frenzy towards the end of my pregnancy. So sad. It's not going to be like this for long though!

I'm planning on totally re-doing it, and I'm hoping I can get you all to come along on the journey. Clearly, I need the help!

It's going to be a long process, but here's my master plan:

*I'm going to divide the room into zones.
    *The left wall will have mainly Z's baby toys, Little People, etc. I'm going to put a toddler height counter in, and underneath, bins to hold toys. The counter and bins will be green- think grass. We'll set up a Little People Village on the counter, but it could also be cleared off and used for building blocks, etc. The walls will be painted blue, and above the counter will be a rainbow mural (Jason's idea). I'm also going to attempt to paint a tree in the corner.

I can't paint pictures to save my life, so this should be amusing!

*Playing store is REALLY big here, so the wall with the window is going to be a store.

I'm going to make a striped awning with a logo in the center (Lastname Brothers Corner Market). I'm going to put up a couple of shelves for play food, and we're going to make a little cash register stand with a conveyor belt, and a place to store the cart, basket, bags, etc. DH thought it might be fun to make a faux brick store front, but I'm not totally sold on that idea- we'll see.

*The right wall will be a house type zone. I'm going to put a little table with chairs in, a faux window and a red kitchen (which we're going to attempt to make). All the way at the end is going to be a little reading nook/beanbag chair area.
    *The closet is going to get more shelving and color-coordinated buckets and baskets. Here's my color scheme idea:

*There's a tiny spot between the closet and the door that will be the music zone. We have a little red piano, and a bunch of random instruments. I'll probably hang J's guitar and ukulele on the wall.

*I'm thinking I'll make the walls and ceiling blue, and put clouds on the ceiling. Here's the light:

So, what do you think? Any great paint colors that might work well? Has anyone ever painted clouds on a ceiling? Murals? I'm hoping to get this done in about 4-6 months b/c I know it's going to be a lot of work.
    Last edited by JTsMom; 07-21-2011 at 05:20 PM.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Wow! wonderful ideas, all of them...here's a blog on how a mom painted a mural - she used a projector to project the screen on the wall and then painted using the image as a reference for filling in - pretty neat!
    http://snickerdoodlecreations.blogsp...abel/Pregnancy

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

OMG, COOL! I want to come play!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

An easy way to do murals is to use an overhead projector. Take a picture from a coloring book (they tend to be pretty simple) and copy them onto an overhead transparency. Then just lightly trace it on the wall with and fill it in.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

That sounds like it will be amazing!! If you reconsider the faux brick storefront, I can tell you that Lowes has some super cool looking red faux brick wainscotting that would probably be perfect! We painted it white and used it for the front of DD's castle loft bed, but I really love how it looks red, too. Have fun!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oooo, I love the red and green colors of that one playroom. So cheery and upbeat! All your plans sound great!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Thanks for all of the tips guys! I'm just going to knock out one step at a time and see how it goes. I'm so excited- I love this kind of stuff.

I wonder if you can rent a projector? That would certainly make it easier to do the murals.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Quote Originally Posted by sunshineandme View Post
    Wow! wonderful ideas, all of them...here's a blog on how a mom painted a mural - she used a projector to project the screen on the wall and then painted using the image as a reference for filling in - pretty neat!
    http://snickerdoodlecreations.blogsp...abel/Pregnancy
    Ooh, I love this nursery!
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Quote Originally Posted by MommyAllison View Post
    That sounds like it will be amazing!! If you reconsider the faux brick storefront, I can tell you that Lowes has some super cool looking red faux brick wainscotting that would probably be perfect! We painted it white and used it for the front of DD's castle loft bed, but I really love how it looks red, too. Have fun!
    That sounds so cute! I'd love to see pics!
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

I would think you could rent a projector-check with a local college library-I know we used to rent stuff like that or with a small church or a school
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast