citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default How much advance notice for a birthday party?

What's the minimum advance notice expected for a bday party? DD1 turns 5 the day after our moving day, so as you might imagine, we're not exactly on the ball with party organizing. Right now, we don't even have a plan, but we'll probably do something the weekend after her bday. Should I send a save the date now, even though we don't have a firm plan? That would give people a little more than 2 weeks heads-up. Or should we just wait and do the party later in the month when we have our act together and give people more lead time? I worry that her birthday will be sort of lost in the move and I want to make sure she has a special 5th bday and party. Thanks for any advice.

we generally do a 2-4 week notice. I think I would shoot an e-mail around to let people know the date and go from there. Ask someone to call the people who don't have e-mail
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I aim for 3 weeks and I have been known to do a save the date email if I am still tentative on things too close for my comfort (and to try and secure the people ds cares most to be there).

Beth

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think 3 weeks is good, but 2 weeks is fine and also typical.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    I think 3 weeks is good, but 2 weeks is fine and also typical.
    This is the norm here too.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We just sent invites for our DD's 1st birthday party; the RSVP date is a week from Sunday, the party is the following Saturday.

We had budgeting issues to discuss, though, so I guess that's OK.

I sent a "save the date" text to the people I felt were most essential to attend, though.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

On Tuesday I got a wedding shower invite that said RSVP Wednesday and the Shower is Sunday! I would say it got lost in the mail, but my mom got her's the exact same day....

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I prefer four weeks notice. There are so many things going on that it is nice to have advance notice so we can mark it on our calendar.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Depends....will the party be in your new home? If so, then you'd likely have to have short notice, depending on how the move goes.

If the party will be at a "party place" , can you book your date/place now and just send out the easy invites you fill in by hand? choose a date 3 or 4 weeks out, so you have peace of mind that it's booked and you will be settled with the move. the place is the hardest part. you can get decorations and food with relatively short notice!
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MMMommy View Post
    I prefer four weeks notice. There are so many things going on that it is nice to have advance notice so we can mark it on our calendar.
    People's calendars fill up so fast that I think you need to do this. Or if not, be willing to call the people you most want to attend and find a date that works for them.
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07