Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was reading on the WW website about the whole zero points fruit thing, and they do make the point that the fruit has calories (clearly), so make sure you're eating it in lieu of something unhealthy, and not just eating 10 pieces of fruit per day because they say you can or you're bored.

ETA: I'm not as hardcore as some other posters, but I have drastically reduced the amount of carbs and white, refined food I eat. I haven't had rice in well over a month, and we're having some brown rice for dinner tonight with chicken teriyaki I have in the crockpot. I've been avoiding bread, cereal, etc., and it seems to be helping.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    I was reading on the WW website about the whole zero points fruit thing, and they do make the point that the fruit has calories (clearly), so make sure you're eating it in lieu of something unhealthy, and not just eating 10 pieces of fruit per day because they say you can or you're bored.
    Yes to this. Also, I personally think the combination of fruit and refined carbs is particularly dangerous. If you're eating lots of cereals, bread, crackers, pasta and rice to get to your 29 (or whatever #) points, and then eating "free" fruit on top of that, it's going to be hard to lose. Eating lower on the glycemic index makes me feel much more satisfied and less prone to blood sugar fluctuations that make me want to...eat!
    Green Tea, mom to three

Quote Originally Posted by weech View Post
    That, my friend, is hardcore.
    Which bit, the soda thing? I think, to be perfectly honest, soda can be blamed for a *lot* of the weight I have to lose. I suspect soda, in it's current HFCS-containing form, will someday be acknowledged as a major root cause of the obesity rates in this country. That has never stopped me from drinking it, but I've almost never allowed my children to. (Double standard, much? ) The closest I've let them get to soda is Izze, which is a combination of fruit juice and carbonated water. This year I've realized that my health is as important to my children (and therefore to me) as their health is, so why would I continue to eat and drink things I don't allow them to because I consider them to be unhealthy things?

The whole wheat/whole grain/brown rice thing we've actually done for years - I've really only drastically cut my portion sizes of them - so it doesn't feel super hardcore to me!

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    I haven't had rice in well over a month, and we're having some brown rice for dinner tonight with chicken teriyaki I have in the crockpot.
    Sort of OT, but would you be willing to share your chicken teriyaki crock pot recipe? My kids might actually eat that, and my crock pot is currently gathering dust because they're generally unwilling to eat anything I know how to make in there!

Thanks!
    Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsthreads View Post
    Which bit, the soda thing? I think, to be perfectly honest, soda can be blamed for a *lot* of the weight I have to lose. I suspect soda, in it's current HFCS-containing form, will someday be acknowledged as a major root cause of the obesity rates in this country. That has never stopped me from drinking it, but I've almost never allowed my children to. (Double standard, much? ) The closest I've let them get to soda is Izze, which is a combination of fruit juice and carbonated water. This year I've realized that my health is as important to my children (and therefore to me) as their health is, so why would I continue to eat and drink things I don't allow them to because I consider them to be unhealthy things?

The whole wheat/whole grain/brown rice thing we've actually done for years - I've really only drastically cut my portion sizes of them - so it doesn't feel super hardcore to me!

Sarah

Yes, soda! I'm a total fiend (and I say that literally, while sipping my Cherry Coke Zero). I guess you were drinking regular sodas rather than diet? I tried to give up drinking it a while back, and it didn't work out. I love it too much. I think limiting myself to 1-2 per day is ideal for me, especially when I'm forcing myself to drink tea/water as well. Do you eat HFCSs in other things? I've always been curious about how lots of people are so against HFCS lately - I guess I don't really get it?

I think carbs are, without a doubt, my #1 reason for gaining weight. I used to eat cereal like it was nobody's business, and I adore baked goods. Mmmm... enriched flour!!
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

Quote Originally Posted by weech View Post
    Yes, soda! I'm a total fiend (and I say that literally, while sipping my Cherry Coke Zero). I guess you were drinking regular sodas rather than diet? I tried to give up drinking it a while back, and it didn't work out. I love it too much. I think limiting myself to 1-2 per day is ideal for me, especially when I'm forcing myself to drink tea/water as well. Do you eat HFCSs in other things? I've always been curious about how lots of people are so against HFCS lately - I guess I don't really get it?

I think carbs are, without a doubt, my #1 reason for gaining weight. I used to eat cereal like it was nobody's business, and I adore baked goods. Mmmm... enriched flour!!
    Yeah, I can't do artificial sweeteners, they give me migraines.

I do read labels and for the packaged things we buy I stick with brands that don't contain HFCS and hydrogenated oils. While I think all sweeteners, including "real" sugar, are bad for you in excess, I think some are worse than others. Your body metabolizes different sweeteners in different ways, and from the reading I've done it appears that HFCS is more easily converted to fat than sucrose (cane sugar) or honey. Soda was my one personal exception, and weakness, when it comes to HFCS.

I know what you mean about the cereal and baked goods. I've also stopped eating cereal because that much sugar first thing in the morning makes me feel hungry all. day. long. My kids seem to be OK with it, but I try to mix it up a little for them and offer alternative breakfasts a few days a week.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsthreads View Post
    Sort of OT, but would you be willing to share your chicken teriyaki crock pot recipe? My kids might actually eat that, and my crock pot is currently gathering dust because they're generally unwilling to eat anything I know how to make in there!

Thanks!
    Sarah
    If it works out tonight, I will be happy to let you know. I'm McGyvering my favorite teriyaki recipe that normally is not a CrockPot recipe-- you marinate, then broil boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs. I just didn't want to have to do all that, so I made the marinade and threw some frozen boneless skinless thighs with the sauce and about 1/4 cup water this morning. I hope it turns out. I'll let you know!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I was down 1lb last week, 2lbs the week before that and .4lbs this week, so total weight loss in the last three weeks is just under 3.5 lbs. I am happy with that. Hopefully my body has finally kicked itself in gear and told itself to start losing weight!

Dietcokelover, I miss the old slider too!
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Okay, Sarah. It turned out pretty well. I did make a cornstarch slurry and added that in when we got home to thicken the sauce a bit, and it worked. As I mentioned above, I used boneless/skinless thighs, trimmed well of all visible fat, and they were nice and tender. The recipe in its original form calls for 8 on the bone-- the two packs I had totaled about 10 boneless ones, and I have enough left over for DH and I to take for lunch tomorrow. Serving size for 2 thighs and about 1/4 of the sauce is 9 Point Plus. We had with brown rice (I had 1/2 cup = 3 points) and steamed green beans (zero points).

Teriyaki Chicken Thighs (can use boneless skinless breasts, no doubt)

1/4 c. low-sodium soy sauce
    2 T. firmly packed dark brown sugar
    2 T. dry sherry
    2 T. rice vinegar
    2 garlic cloves, crushed with a garlic press or minced
    2 t. peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
    1/4 t. red pepper flakes

Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves. Put 8-10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs into the crock pot, pour sauce over, and cook 8 hours on low. To thicken sauce, mix 1 T. cornstarch with 1 T. cold water, whisk together, and pour into crock pot for last 1/2 hour of cooking.

Note: This marinade is also great on pork tenderloin. It's from my Ellie Krieger "The Food You Crave" cookbook, and she notes that the marinade will keep up to 1 week in the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeLover View Post
    We are going to lunch at Chili's today. Anyone have any recommendations for what to eat there? I looked at my favorite menu item and estimated it to be in 50 point range!!!!! Any suggestions would definitely be appreciated.
    I just wanted to let you know the points value of what I ate today at Chili's. They have a combo deal with a house garden salad and a cup of soup and then you get all the chips and salsa you can eat. The salad without dressing is 5 points. I had the chicken enchilada soup, which appeared to be the best option and it was 5 points. I used Ranch dressing, but dipped my fork in it instead of pouring it on, so I figured 3 points for that. And DH and DC ate the chips and salsa.

So, 13 points. Not too bad for eating out and I am still full for the night.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast