Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default If you have pea gravel under your play set..

how did you get it there? Did you do it by hand, or rent heavy equipment? Our area is HUGE, and I just can't see trying to haul it down our long driveway and shoveling it.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We had it at our house in NC. We had a dump druck deliver and then we wheelbarrowed it into place, but our play area was very close to the driveway (where we had the stone dumped).
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Did it take a long time? I think we're going to have about 27 tons to deal with.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My memory is fuzzy (selective memory on this one maybe...). DH did the bulk of the work and he doesn't really mind physical labor. I remember DS1 helping with his RF wheelbarrow.

I don't remember it taking more than a week or two of sporadic work. I don't recall how many tons we had delivered but it was a large area and pretty deep, so it was definitely not a small load. We had two deliveries IIRC.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Yeah, I'm thinking Bobcat rental is sounding good. lol
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Wow. 27 tons is a lot. Did I read that correctly? Do you know how many square feet the area is? I think if I was you I'd rent a dingo (like a bobcat only you walk behind it, you dont ride on it... less yard destruction etc) if there is no way you can have it dumped right on the spot you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    Wow. 27 tons is a lot. Did I read that correctly? Do you know how many square feet the area is? I think if I was you I'd rent a dingo (like a bobcat only you walk behind it, you dont ride on it... less yard destruction etc) if there is no way you can have it dumped right on the spot you need it.

It may actually be 26, not that that helps much!

We bought this set:
    http://www.bjs.com/adventure-playset...product.124951

We came up with the tonnage based on the following:
    With a 6 ft perimeter, it would be 30x30, but we're going to cut it back a bit on the side of the swings, a little on the front and back to make it 24x28=672 sq ft. Divide by 27 for sq yds=24.88=34.8 tons at 12" thick, 17.5ish at 6", 26.15 at 9" thick. So if we went by the strictest recs, we should technically have even more (46.6 tons!), but I'm comfortable with the compromise.

We have a long sloping driveway, and they're bringing the gravel in on a semi which could actually fit, but would probably crack it, so they're going to dump it on the street. Luckily, the side of our yard is still just clay (new construction), so no worries about tearing up the yard.

It's $125 to rent a Bobcat for 1/2 a day, so I'm thinking that's probably the way to go.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JTsMom View Post
    We have a long sloping driveway, and they're bringing the gravel in on a semi which could actually fit, but would probably crack it, so they're going to dump it on the street. Luckily, the side of our yard is still just clay (new construction), so no worries about tearing up the yard.

It's $125 to rent a Bobcat for 1/2 a day, so I'm thinking that's probably the way to go.
    Definitely check to see if they have a Dingo... well that is unless you have experience driving a bobcat. I'm sure you could figure it out but the Dingo was so easy to use and we felt like we had more control because you walk behind it rather than ride on it. It still has a loader and all that so will work just as well. It will be so worth the price of the rental. Moving rocks is HARD work, you'll be glad you got the rental for sure. Good luck!

They did have them on there for about the same price. Is using it physically draining? Not to sound like a slacker, but that's the whole point, kwim. lol

My mom keeps wanting us to just borrow her tractor cart and wheelbarrow, but I think that's insane! I keep telling her 26 TONS!!!! They're bringing it in on a semi Mom! lol We aren't spring chickens, and we don't have tons of time to do it slowly since it'll be in the street.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Dump truck and a lot of shoveling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast