Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default If you have pea gravel under your play set..

how did you get it there? Did you do it by hand, or rent heavy equipment? Our area is HUGE, and I just can't see trying to haul it down our long driveway and shoveling it.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We had it at our house in NC. We had a dump druck deliver and then we wheelbarrowed it into place, but our play area was very close to the driveway (where we had the stone dumped).
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Did it take a long time? I think we're going to have about 27 tons to deal with.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My memory is fuzzy (selective memory on this one maybe...). DH did the bulk of the work and he doesn't really mind physical labor. I remember DS1 helping with his RF wheelbarrow.

I don't remember it taking more than a week or two of sporadic work. I don't recall how many tons we had delivered but it was a large area and pretty deep, so it was definitely not a small load. We had two deliveries IIRC.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Yeah, I'm thinking Bobcat rental is sounding good. lol
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Wow. 27 tons is a lot. Did I read that correctly? Do you know how many square feet the area is? I think if I was you I'd rent a dingo (like a bobcat only you walk behind it, you dont ride on it... less yard destruction etc) if there is no way you can have it dumped right on the spot you need it.

We got 15 tons of pea gravel, which turned out to be more than we needed. (I was trying to find all the safety requirements but we still could have gotten away with less for our relatively small space.)

DH and I did have to move it all in a wheel barrow from our front driveway down our relatively steep slope into the backyard. It was a LOT of work and we later said that we really should have paid someone else to do it. In our case, our narrow fence wouldn't have been enough space for a bobcat to get through, but if you're able to do that, go for it!

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Dump truck and a lot of shoveling.

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    We had it at our house in NC. We had a dump druck deliver and then we wheelbarrowed it into place, but our play area was very close to the driveway (where we had the stone dumped).
    That's what we did. but it was still a HUGE job that took a couple weeks. We had 28 tons.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

They brought it by truck, backed it in and then used a bob cat. Problem is that it was so muddy that they truck got stuck on our lawn for a few hrs (had to get another truck to tow it out) and it tore up some of our lawn and our neighbors. They repaired it. I suggest that if you do have to get a truck to come in, have it done when it is really hot (july/aug) or when the ground is still frozen, for the very issue that I just mentioned above.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast