Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by weech View Post
    They turned out great! I also got the deal on Zulily, but I haven't used it yet. Now I'm excited!
    Oh, those are the ones from the Cake Sugar website.

These are ours (I bought regular cupcakes from Safeway and vegan ones from Whole Foods):

They look best if you apply them the day of the party; by the end of the day the colors look a little off.
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

For DS's first birthday (he had only started solid food 2 weeks before - and by solid I mean purees!) I made him a banana bread muffin and "decorated" it with whipped cream - he just smashed it to bits without eating any of it. He just turned 2 & I made a carrot cake with ww flour & cream cheese whipped cream icing - it turned out really well!

We did a smash cake as well as stacked rounds for the adults. Both were homemade with homemade icing because DS has food allergies and I was still nursing so for us to eat cake, it has to be free of dairy and soy. I wouldn't say it was particulary healthy...but yummy. The design was simple to say the least. Frosted with my best attempt at piping scalloped edges and decorating a #1 on it. A cake decorator, I'm not!

DS dug into his cake after a little prompting and while he made quite a mess...I'm not sure that he actually consumed a ton of cake. Regardless, I don't care because he doesn't get sweet treats very often.

It was nice that he had just gotten a kiddie pool...it was a great way to give him a "bath" after the cake!

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This is what I made for DD's 1st B'day. At the time I didn't know she was allergic to wheat and eggs, but she did take a few bites without any reaction. I was so worried it might not come out right as I was totally new to baking but I did do a trial run before the actual cake.

DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by goldenpig View Post
    Oh, those are the ones from the Cake Sugar website.

These are ours (I bought regular cupcakes from Safeway and vegan ones from Whole Foods):

They look best if you apply them the day of the party; by the end of the day the colors look a little off.

Ahhh, yours look even better!
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    This is what I made for DD's 1st B'day. At the time I didn't know she was allergic to wheat and eggs, but she did take a few bites without any reaction. I was so worried it might not come out right as I was totally new to baking but I did do a trial run before the actual cake.

New to baking? Are you kidding me? I've been baking and decorating cakes for a few years now, and this is still WAY beyond my skill level. It's beautiful!
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

Quote Originally Posted by weech View Post
    New to baking? Are you kidding me? I've been baking and decorating cakes for a few years now, and this is still WAY beyond my skill level. It's beautiful!
    - now I have baking anxiety!!
    Crunchy Brit mama to one little trigglet - 03/2010
    ...and two miniature schnauzers.
    Only one of the above gets to ride in Al!

Plus one more due 03/13!

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you for the complements, if you look closely you'll see the small defects, specially on the edges

This was my second cake, my first ever was a trial run. But I really enjoyed it, everyone who attended couldn't believe I made it as they all know I'm no cook/baker. My mom does all the cooking in our house. But I really wanted to do it for DD. It also made me realise that I love baking, something I hadn't realised before.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

joules is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS's first party is this weekend. I'll post pictures when we're done. I've ordered cupcakes from a local cupcake lady (http://www.gingerlilybakery.com/). I made some homemade cupcake toppers (the ones that look like a lollipop) that I will stick into the cupcakes. Half of them will be a picture of DS's face, the other half will be the number "1".

We are getting the killer coconut and hummingbird cupcakes. Not exactly "healthy", but not bad either.

ETA: as for decorations, I am keeping it really simple and easy - but all of my inspiration is from odeedoh.com.
    I got 12 of these for above the mantel for months 0-11: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30151035. I also used a large circle shaped puncher and made a garland with colorful cirlces to hang around the mantel and around the house. I am in the process of making a "DS's 1st Birthday" banner too - just used ms Word to type out the giant letters to use as a template for my colored cardstock. Oh also I'm making a onesie with the number "1" on it.

For party food, we are just grilling up hamburgers. We have family dropping by at all hours of the day, so it's easiest to just throw a patty on the grill as they arrive.
    Last edited by joules; 03-08-2011 at 04:55 PM.

joules is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Here are pics from this weekend. Sorry for the creepy blurry face pictures. We only had about 17 people over, but in the chaos I totally forgot to give DS his cupcake on the day of the party! haha. So we gave it to him this morning.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast