Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    siri is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default recommend your birth control

I would love to hear what you ladies are using for birth control. I have not used anything in years. I was on the pill and BC patch years ago. It took me a while to conceive after going off the pill and I really don't want to go through fertility issues again with a second (but I am NO where close to thinking of TTC in the next couple of years.) I also had some weight gain with the pill last time I was on it, and really don't want that again.

Anyone really love their BCP and have not experienced many side effects? I have never really considered an IUD before either.
    TIA!

Natural Family Planning!

I have used nearly every single type of birth control known to man, with the exception of a diaphragm, and hated the side effects from all of them, or the messiness and discomfort. Everything hormone based made me a crazy hormonal wreck OR my libido went away and never came back. As soon as I was off it, libido came back like I was 21 again

So after DS #1 was born, we never used anything again excpet for NFP. All of our kids are exactly 3.5 years apart, so I'd say it works really well

I use the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006...ZW7ZYNK6QR1VXE

And Cycle Beads:
    http://www.cyclebeads.com/
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
    Natural Family Planning!

I have used nearly every single type of birth control known to man, with the exception of a diaphragm, and hated the side effects from all of them, or the messiness and discomfort. Everything hormone based made me a crazy hormonal wreck OR my libido went away and never came back. As soon as I was off it, libido came back like I was 21 again

I use the lady-comp, it uses basal temperature and is more effective then the BCP if used correctly, it requires some discipline (taking your temp religiously every morning) and on your fertile days you can either abstain (the safest option) or use some other protection.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My favorite and the one I used the most was Ortho Novum 1-35/28. I started using it when I was 21 so I didn't notice much weight gain at all. A year later I made the dumb move to try Ortho Tri Cyclen, I gained 10 lbs in a month, and a total of 15lbs in 2 months and went back to Ortho Novum. I never lost all of that weight. I have been birth control free with the exception of the mini pill for almost 3 yrs. and I feel fine, however I will say that when I was on ortho novum after I stopped breast feeding DD1 at four months I think I lost weight faster than I have with DD2. Of course everyone has different bodies and hormones are different for everyone, but I did not have any adverse reactions to them.

Before DH and I decided that he would get a vasectomy I was really considering the hormone free Mirena IUD.

I wouldn't do NFP though unless you are in a serious relationship. Just my .02 though.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I love my IUD, I have the paraguard.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

The pill. I don't have any side affects and take a generic version, and with my insurance it's $5 a month. I looked at other options and they all cost way more and not sure if I would tolerate as well. So I'm sticking with this until DH has a V.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Super happy with my copper IUD. No hormones to possibly cause weight gain or mood issues (I don't need anything else that can contribute there ). Lasts 10 years and I don't have to think about it except for checking the strings from time to time. I kick myself for not getting one sooner after ds1 was born.

Beth

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

i never did well on the pill. The only thing DH and I used was condoms. DH didnt mind and we never had any issues w/ breakage.

Im guessing your asking "incase" your new friend turns into more than a "friend" ... In this day and age I'd stick with condoms for a while.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

I my mirena!!! I had it inserted at 8 weeks pp with DD. I haven't nursed DD in a year and still haven't seen AF I don't have to remember anything and worry all day if I did or didn't last night before I went to bed like I did when I was on the pill. When this one comes out I am putting another right back in. I can't say enough wonderful things about it!!!!
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    Im guessing your asking "incase" your new friend turns into more than a "friend" ... In this day and age I'd stick with condoms for a while.

I agree. I'm glad things are going well, but I'd stick with condoms until it was more clear where the whole thing was headed.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast