Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Are these dangerous? And what do you call them...

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Sport...626891&sr=1-11

I loved them as a kid, but I don't see them much. Got a pair at a consignment sale and DD was trying to do circus tricks (current preschool class theme) so I got them out. She's loving them, but falls a bit. Wonder if they are ankle twisters..anyone know? Learning Express had them in the store a few months ago when we visited, but our indy toy store that has a huge selection doesn't.

I had some growing up too. We called them Romper Stompers (from the tv show Romper Room). I loved them and got sets for DC when they were probably 5 and 3. The only accidents we had were when someone stepped onto the hardwood floor from the carpet and slipped, which happened once or twice.

As to be expected, some are made better than others. Ours are from Discount School Supply and are quite sturdy. (I can stand on them.)
    Susan

Mom to E (1/03) and R (6/05)

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yep, Romper Stompers. We had aset of 'real' plastic ones, and a set of coffee can/rope ones. Good times!!! I bought Lula some wooden ones on consignment. They are awesome.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Well sure they could overturn an ankle or whatever, but they are great for coordination and balance. When I worked as a PT I used them a good bit with kids.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

My son receives physical therapy in his pre-K as part of his IEP, and the PT there uses the stilts with my son to improve his strength and balance. I could see how they could lead to a sprained ankle if the child is unsupervised, but his PT is right there next to him the whole time that DS uses them.

We used to make ours from coffee cans and baler twine. I think they are fine.

ETA we called ours "tin can stilts"

http://pbskids.org/zoom/activities/do/tincanstilts.html
    Last edited by Jo..; 03-08-2011 at 10:18 PM.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

A blast from the past! I had a pair of yellow Romper Stompers as a kid. Loved them!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

wimama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We just bought some for DS for Christmas. He hasn't hurt himself. They are fun, DH and I have both tried them out. I believe this is the ones we have

http://www.amazon.com/JUST-JUMP-IT-E...632921&sr=8-36
    Amy -
    J - Spring 2006
    E - September 2011

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Thank you for the name!!! You guys must not be 40 yet and have that brain-cell-loss thing going on yet. Romper Stompers they are!

Oh, maybe stand tall stilts at discount school supply. I think we need more than one pair. DD was on them for nearly an hour. Sharing is going to be hard.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have to comment, this is weird. I read your post up to having had these as a kid, then clicked on the link, and as I was doing it, the image of a pair of romper stompers popped in my head. And then the link opened. My jaw dropped. How weird is that?! I'm psychic, man!

We used a pair of those in my last play, Oliver. The two girls who played "boscars" stilted out on those, and backstage they couldn't stay off of them. I think one of them begged to take them home. They weren't these from Amazon, as they looked more period. But same difference. I think you shoudl go for it.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast