Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Favorite early reader books - that are also interesting?

So DD1 is reading!

Thankfully we are past the BOB books phase and onto easy Dr Seuss/PD Eastman. Yesterday, DH and I grinned ear to ear as she read us Big Dog, Little Dog, Green Eggs and Ham and Are you My Mother? like a pro. It's like this switch just turned on in her head! She told us she could read for a "long time" (I know it's been a few months since she's been reading the back of cereal boxes and street signs) but didn't want mama and papa to stop reading to her.

So, given her enthusiasm, I'd love to get her a bunch of books that she can read or aspire to read to herself soon - either from the library or from amazon for her collection. Most of the early reader books are super boring, IMO. Are there favorites you can recommend that we should look for? Is she ready for Amelia Bedelia and Magic Treehouse? (She is almost 5.)

First reader books we own:
    Frog and Toad series
    Owl at Home
    Uncle Elephant
    Little bear
    Danny and the Dinosaur
    Morris the Moose
    Detective Dinosaur
    bunch of Dr Seuss/PD Eastman books
    probably others I can't remember

Of course, she loves reading all the baby's board books - yesss, now she can read to her sister!

Thanks for any recommendations for early reader books that are also good reads!
    Last edited by citymama; 03-08-2011 at 08:43 PM.

kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Berenstain Bear books?
    the Pinkalicious series, we got one because my 2.5 year likes pink, and my 7 year old likes reading them to her.
    Little Bear
    Magic School Bus, they have easier ones that my 7 year old can read

Kate
    mom to C, 12/03, H, 06/08 and R, 4/11

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller

It sounds like she's definitely ready for Amelia Bedelia. Magic Treehouse might not be far off, though. Other early readers we loved here were "Minnie and Moo" and of course, "Elephant and Piggie!". And the "Fly Guy" books too.

Thanks for the suggestions! Are the Magic Treehouse stories any good as books we would read to her? The reviews are mixed.

You don't want to read Magic Tree House as readalouds---they're good early chapter books but due to the lame conversations and lots of 'he said,' "she said,' and such, they're totally annoying to read out loud.

My girls have loved the Elephant and Piggie books by Mo Willems as early readers. Also Morris the Moose, Henry and Mudge and Mr. Putter and Tabby.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

shishamo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaS View Post
    My girls have loved the Elephant and Piggie books by Mo Willems as early readers. Also Morris the Moose, Henry and Mudge and Mr. Putter and Tabby.
    When my 6 year old started reading (like 6 months ago), and these were exactly her favorites (and mine)! Start with Elephant and Piggie books for sure.

There is a book called You read to Me, I read to You. Essentially, you both take turns reading. She loves this. There are several of these as well.

We also really like Edward Marshall / James Marshall books (I think they are related?) - Fox series (Fox in love, Fox on wheels, etc.) and Three By the Sea, Four by the Shore, etc., etc. They are so funny.

We're reading Ivy and Bean series together right now (she reads a page, and I read a page. We take turns). They are a tiny bit more challenging than Magic Treehouse series but not that much. It's great.
    Mom to three kids

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

These are just books, not official early readers. But I think they're excellent for eawrly reading. Looooove -->

Elephant & Piggie
    Don't the the Pigeon ...
    Little Bear

I'll be babysitting this thread, cuz we need more!
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    These are just books, not official early readers. But I think they're excellent for eawrly reading. Looooove -->

Elephant & Piggie
    Don't the the Pigeon ...
    Little Bear

I'll be babysitting this thread, cuz we need more!
    She loooves reading the pigeon books! I'm kicking myself because a local bookstore had the Elephant and Piggie hardcover books super marked down (like $5) and for some bizarre reason, I passed on them. D'uh!

Thanks shishamo - off to amazon to add some of those to our cart! AngelaS, that's exactly what I needed to know re Magic treehouse (whew!), and also for confirmation on the Willems books and others. Annex, kedss, thanks again, will check those out - and cute baby pic, kedss!

Iris and Walter series
    Nate the Great series
    Young Cam Jansen series
    Oliver and Amanda Pig series
    Mercy Watson series
    Mr. Pine's Purple House
    Mouse and Mole books - several by Herbert Wong Yee
    Dodsworth in Paris/Dodsworth in Rome/Dodsworth in New York - Tim Egan
    Poppleton and Friends series
    Last edited by ett; 03-09-2011 at 11:05 AM.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Does your DD like Fancy Nancy? DD is enjoying working on the early reader versions of some of the Fancy Nancy books.

We also just do a lot of reading any old book she enjoys and having her sound out (she likes doing this) a few words on each page.

I like a lot of the PPs suggestions. DS1 really liked Little Bear at that age.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast