Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Favorite early reader books - that are also interesting?

So DD1 is reading!

Thankfully we are past the BOB books phase and onto easy Dr Seuss/PD Eastman. Yesterday, DH and I grinned ear to ear as she read us Big Dog, Little Dog, Green Eggs and Ham and Are you My Mother? like a pro. It's like this switch just turned on in her head! She told us she could read for a "long time" (I know it's been a few months since she's been reading the back of cereal boxes and street signs) but didn't want mama and papa to stop reading to her.

So, given her enthusiasm, I'd love to get her a bunch of books that she can read or aspire to read to herself soon - either from the library or from amazon for her collection. Most of the early reader books are super boring, IMO. Are there favorites you can recommend that we should look for? Is she ready for Amelia Bedelia and Magic Treehouse? (She is almost 5.)

First reader books we own:
    Frog and Toad series
    Owl at Home
    Uncle Elephant
    Little bear
    Danny and the Dinosaur
    Morris the Moose
    Detective Dinosaur
    bunch of Dr Seuss/PD Eastman books
    probably others I can't remember

Of course, she loves reading all the baby's board books - yesss, now she can read to her sister!

Thanks for any recommendations for early reader books that are also good reads!
    Last edited by citymama; 03-08-2011 at 08:43 PM.