Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default what happens to powdered formula after 1 month?

We only use 4 ounces of formula a day, for cereal. The cans say that you have to use them within a month of opening. What happens if they hang around for longer than that? I can't finish a small can in a month, but I also have a second can that was opened because we had a crisis when we were out of town. It has been opened for 2 months now. Am I going to poison my kid if I give it to him anyway? I'm thinking it would probably be OK but I'm just wondering if anyone knows the real reason behind the one month limit.

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have no idea. Here's a link to a similar post from several months ago:
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...=formula+month

Although no conclusion was reached there either. Someone in that post suggested getting the single-serving packets of formula for use in cereal. Is that an option for you? What about using cow's milk instead of formula?

ETA: Here's some info I found: http://www.infantformula.org/faqs#10
    Last edited by TwoBees; 03-12-2011 at 02:46 PM.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

I seem to also remember reading somewhere that it can a) become contaminated with/allow too much growth of bacteria, and b)the milk itself starts to go bad from being exposed to the air.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We weren't too hard & fast on this rule, but generally we used it up within 6 weeks. It is sooo annoying, esp when it so much cheaper to buy in bulk. (We used to supplement at daycare and for cereal on weekends at home).
    DS 6/09

thanks for the input. I am convinced that I should dump the 2 month old can and buy the smallest size cans or single servings in the future. I'm hoping to get away from cereal in about a month, so hopefully it won't be an issue for much longer.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Another option would be to ask for samples whenever you go to the peds office. They usually will gladly give it to you, and it comes in smaller cans. I also only used it for mixing cereal and backup, so I hated to waste it at the end of the month, but I was concerned with spoilage and bacterial contamination.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You don't have to mix cereal with formula. You could use water, juice, applesauce, other pureed fruits, milk, soymilk, etc. For 4 ounces total a day to mix with cereal, I wouldn't buy formula.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    You don't have to mix cereal with formula. You could use water, juice, applesauce, other pureed fruits, milk, soymilk, etc. For 4 ounces total a day to mix with cereal, I wouldn't buy formula.
    Oh yeah, I should've mentioned that as well. After DS had a reaction to formula I used to mix with cereal (one of my first posts here!), I switched to mixing with pureed babyfood and everything was fine.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had a half used can in a bedroom that never got thrown away when DD switched to whole milk. It was around about 8 weeks and it was pretty caked together and a looked a little off. We're in a humid climate so YMMV. Our scoops also got a little nasty over time but we FF fulltime. I'm sure bactria could be introduced via the scoop.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    We mixed with water because the one time I tried it with formula for DD1 she gave me the nastiest look ever. I know we used the first can of formula I bought with the girls in probably 2 months. I didn't worry much about the extra month it was opened.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast