Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default *Update* American Girl Cafe- Chicago

Well we just got back it thought I'd share a little review.

The cafe is cute..bold hot pink/black and white. The wait staff was very nice, table talk cards on the table, hair tie backs to keep...all great. Now on to the food.....on a scale form 1-10 it was a 3.

Cinnamon rolls came out first...warm but still pretty tough.

App plate: cheese slices were glazed over (like they had been sitting out forever), fried ravioli was tough (under heat lamp I assume), bread was bland, mini cherry tomatoes were fine but *way* too much parsley on top.

Dinner: I had a chicken Italian salad. Chicken was boiled a cut into cubes..blech. The rest of the salad (lettuce, dressing, little pastas, cheese) was actually good. Dd1 had pasta with chicken and vegetables which really should have been called pasta with chicken and a vegetable. I think she has two broccoli florets in there.

Dessert: Can't complain too much about it. Chocolate mousse in a flower pot with a sugar cookie and a cake cut out. Everything was very processed tasting but I didn't expect it to be homemade.

Bill was around $50 for the two of us with no fancy drinks. I honestly don't think I would go back. I get the whole experience factor but the food was so poor. Dd1 enjoyed it and we had fun with the table talk cards. No regrets just lived and learned.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was thinking about taking in lunch here but the reviews ("overpriced cafeteria food") are really scaring me off. Anyone actually had a good experience here?
    Last edited by infomama; 04-01-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Honestly, never heard of it. Where is it located?
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ooooohhhhh. I've got a boy. Might be why I've not heard of it :-). Good luck!
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Feel free to suggest places to eat.....we are staying at the Seneca. Walking distance would be really good.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Older DD and I had lunch there in fall 2009. It was pretty good, but you're really not there for the food. We were celebrating her birthday and only had the "cupcake with a candle". I should have realized it, but almost every table there was a birthday, so be prepared for them to sing Happy Birthday about 20 times. And for kids to be there with large parties and large cakes. She really enjoyed it though and I would definitely do it again.

There are tons of places to eat very close to the Seneca. One of my favs is the Oak Tree Cafe in the 500 Shops on Michigan Avenue.

There are also several restaurants and eateries in Water Tower Place itself, where AG Place is located.

It's fun to get a snack at the top of the Hancock Building too.

You could also do tea at one of the nice places close to the hotel: The Ritz (also at Water Tower Place), the Drake (1.5 blocks away) or the Peninsula (5ish blocks away).
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Thanks Beth!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have quite a few friends that do day trips to Chicago with their DD's and do lunch there. They love how the dolls get their own special chair at the table and the whole experience is great from what I hear. I plan to take DD up for a special birthday lunch on her birthday in June.

I would NOT go on a weekend though.

I think the food is what it is, you are paying for the 'experience' and atmosphere and by virtue of the fact that it is AG, it's overpriced.

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We paid an awful lot of money for brunch there. There were nice touches like the doll chair and a little cup for the doll and we got pretty hair ties as napkin rings to keep. The food was not very good at all, but was not really the point of the visit, just kind of irritating when brunch for four people came to $100! I could have sworn there was also an ice cream parlor somewhere in the store so you might call and see if that really exists and might be a better option.
    -Pam

DD: 6 YO
    DS: 3 YO

Ugh.....I think I *have* to take dd1 to this cafe for lunch at least. I have not made reservations but we are going midweek so I think we should be OK. Not thrilled about spending $50 for a fair-poor lunch though.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast