HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Does anyone know the main difference between ADHD and EFD?

DS is only 6 and so far has an ADHD (combined type) diagnosis. He also suffers from SPD, which goes hand in hand with the ADHD. Plus, DS has slow processing speed, which could mean he has executive funcitioning issues. How different is EFD from ADHD? I know DS and a diagnosis are a moving target and things will constantly be changing. I'm wondering when EFD can be diagnosed (and who does it). I see aspects of ADHD and aspects of EFD in DS now.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Well, I think it isn't always clear. My older DD clearly has some executive functioning issues. But we don't think it is ADHD. But at some point, what's the differerence? Even the professionals will disagree.

Many times it seems like the difference is decided when they try stimulant meds and they don't work. Which is a pretty unsatisfactory answer IMO.

I think this is pretty helpful: http://www.additudemag.com/topic/adh...y-bipolar.html

There's a whole series of "Is it X or ADHD?" articles. As you read through them, it's pretty clear they don't always know. It often takes until a child is older and has to cope with the increased demands of higher level work and planning (usually grades 3+) that the distinctions become apparent. And even then, it isn't always easy to tease out the differences in anxiety, depression, ADHD, EFD or LDs of various types.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Elilly is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't have an answer but wanted to share that we have gotten a lot of great ideas for DS's ADHD and EF with this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1890627844
    DD 02
    DS 04

Quote Originally Posted by Elilly View Post
    I don't have an answer but wanted to share that we have gotten a lot of great ideas for DS's ADHD and EF with this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1890627844
    Wow, this book looks amazing. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to reading it and helping my adhd daughter!
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Looks like a good book to have in my arsenal. Thanks for the rec.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007