Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    happymomma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Need food ideas for someone with food allergies

My friend is visiting from Japan and I am hosting a get together at my house. However, he has metabolic issues so he can't eat meat or fish or dairy. He also can't eat tofu because it is from beans. I think he said he could pretty much eat veggie and rice. So I am at a loss of what to serve for the party. Any suggestions would be great. I'll have meat dishes for the other guests but I want to make sure that he has a few things that he would enjoy.

Thanks so much in advance.

"veggie" sushi?
    Veggie burritos minus beans

Can they eat eggs? Maybe make a quiche using coconut milk, almon milk, or rice milk, veggies?

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

So, his allergies are fish, dairy, legumes and soy?? I think you need to clarify his allergies.

If those are his allergies, he could eat anything that isn't those things so I'm not clear why you think he could only eat veggies and rice?? Any other meat would be OK.

If his allergy is to finned fish, you will have to avoid certain seasonings (Worchestershire sauce, for example, or cesar salad dressing).
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

How about a veggie curry served over rice? A nice, fresh salad? A vegetarian couscous dish? A really nice fruit plate or fruit kabobs? Maybe some stuffed mushrooms (just make sure the stuffing doesn't contain dairy)? Grilled portabello or ****ake mushrooms? Not sure if you're focusing on party/finger foods or a sit-down dinner, but you might also be able to add some things like tortilla chips and salsa.

ETA: Oh, and how about pasta-based stuff? Spaghetti with marinara? Just leave the parmesan on the side so there's no dairy.
    Last edited by misshollygolightly; 03-17-2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: ETA
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Someone here recommended this brand to me a couple of weeks ago when I needed an allergen-free granola:

http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/

The mom of the child was SO GRATEFUL to find another food her son could eat. I think their products might work for your friend. They are nut-, soy-, gluten-, egg-, and milk-free.

ETA: Just want to clarify, Enjoy Life has other products besides granola.
    Last edited by sariana; 03-17-2011 at 07:14 PM.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

I think he said that he had some sort of metabolic disorder so that he can't eat certain foods. So no meat or fish or dairy or beans. I think it is because it is hard for his body to digest it. I remember in high school he always had to bring lunch because of it.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I start with vegan dishes, but obviously go with those without beans. You still would need to be careful with any fish or soy containing seasonings, which can be hidden.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

vegi kabobs served with rice ... onion, bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms

green salad ... with red peppers, cucumber, red onion, tomato, mushrooms

quinoa salad ... make it with vegi broth and saute onion, red pepper, zucchini (and eggplant if you like it) ... mix it together (salt and pepper to taste).

pasta salad ... spirals with green and red bell pepper, red onion and black olives tossed with italian dressing (we like Bernstein's or Newmans own)

can he eat soy sauce??? If he can then maybe pioneer womans simple sesame noodles ... I would add some finely sliced red bell pepper to it too (you could add steamed broccoli too)

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...esame-noodles/

You could always just make a vegetable stir fry ... peppers, onion, mushroom, zucchini, carrot, broccoli, baby bok choy or spinach

From my friend, I think he has PKU. Hope this helps. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Keep them comming!

Quote Originally Posted by happymomma View Post
    From my friend, I think he has PKU. Hope this helps. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Keep them comming!
    http://www.pkurecipes.com/

http://depts.washington.edu/pku/recipes/index.html

http://www.pku.com/pku-teens/foods-for-pku-diets.php

http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/tracy/recipes.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast