Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If he has PKU, he may not be able to eat quinoa, which is high in protein.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

How about Mushroom Polenta Pie, from the "Moosewood Low-Fat Favorites" cookbook? I loaned my copy of the book to a friend, and I couldn't find the recipe online but did find the ingredient list:

•1 C cornmeal
    water (I think it's probably 3-4 cups)
    •3 tsp e.v.o.o.
    •1 lg Onion
    •1 lg garlic clove
    •3 C thinly sliced mushrooms (10 oz)
    •4 C stemmed & chopped Swiss chard

Basically you make polenta (I would use veggie broth, to give the polenta a bit more flavor) and spread it in a baking dish. Saute the sliced onion in a little olive oil, add the garlic and stir till fragrant, then add the mushrooms. Cook until they are soft, then add the chard, cover the pan and cook for a few more minutes until the chard is wilted (uncover the pan and stir a couple of times). Spread the mushroom mixture onto the polenta. If you want to make this a day ahead, let the whole thing cool, cover and then put in the fridge. Warm in the oven at 350F, covered with foil, until hot.

You could also make a mush duxelles-type of topping, or mushrooms in red sauce - almost any sort of veggie topping.

you didn't mention if your friend is Japanese, or is just living in Japan? I was thinking that Korean food could be a good way to go since there are so many side dishes made of veggies, it'd be easy for him to pick and choose. But if he's American he might be wishing for some homemade American-style food :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2