Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default *Updated* Dryer Vent Cleaning?

Came back to update since a couple of you asked me to. Dryer vent cleaners came out on Friday and cleaned out the back of the dryer, cleaned out the vent inside where the dryer is connected and went up on the roof. From there, they cleaned the screen and put something down into the vent to knock stuff loose. They had a super power vacuum that was powered by the generator on their truck and sucked all the lint out. They said I had a large clog. I never realized that our dryer vents out onto the roof and now it makes sense that it would be a problem. They also said that with a vent that goes up through the wall like that, the problem can be worse because of condensation. The vent is cooled by the outside air or your AC, then you are sending hot air through it when using your dryer. Consequently, there is condensation and the link sticks even more. Here is a pic of how the vents can be arranged - ours is one that goes to the roof:

So, did it work? Yes!!! and I wish I had done it much sooner. My dryer has been working overtime and I almost bought a new one. I did laundry this weekend and everything is drying in HALF the time! I am so irritated that I likely lost some life on my dryer due to overuse AND my power bills could have been much lower. Totally worth the $75!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we need to have our dryer vent cleaned. We've never had this done professionally and I have been researching it a bit. I was all set to buy a new dryer when I read that dirty dryer vents can not only lead to fires, but increase drying times. Cost is $80-$100. I figure this is a cheaper option than a new dryer and is worth a try. I'm also concerned about the risk of fires from dirty vents, so I think it's time to have it done (we have been in this house almost 8 years!).

Have you ever had your dryer vents professionally cleaned? What do I need to know so I don't get scammed when I call a service?
    Last edited by randomkid; 03-27-2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Update

I may be totally wrong here....but can't you just buy a new dryer vent hose for about $10? Or is this a different part we're talking about?
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wouldn't pay someone to do that. I think you are talking about duct cleaning not just the hose. There is an attachment you can buy for a drill you can use it over and over l http://www.amazon.com/Gardus-RLE202-LintEater-10-Piece-Cleaning/dp/B0014CN8Y8

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DH bought some kind of kit at home depot and did it himself. He thought it was maybe $30 but you have to have either a shop vacuum or blower. DH claims cleaning out you lint filter is one of the most important things you can do ( he works for a major appliance manufacture and hears lots of stories of fires caused by lint).
    Last edited by scrooks; 03-20-2011 at 09:31 PM.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

That's a DIY project in my book. It's usually under $10 to get a new vent tube and only takes a few minutes provided you're physically able to move the dryer away from the wall. My dryer's internal vent duct is big enough it's pretty easy to clean it out with the hose from my vacuum cleaner so I also do that when I have it pulled out from the wall.
    Jen

HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Depending on where the dryer vents leads out, it could be an easy DIY project. My understanding is that if it's a longer path (don't know how to describe), you may need a professional with industrial equipment.

FWIW, I know a firefighter who said clogged/dirty dryer vents are a leading cause of fires. As soon as I heard this, I got mine cleaned.

Hi Kim! I just stumbled upon your post, but we've been meaning to do this too. Ours vents out through the roof, and this is something we need to do.

That diy kit looks interesting, but ours looks like it is longer than 12 feet, since it starts at the base of our wall and goes out through the roof. I wonder if there is one that allows you to do longer vents.

If you decide to go with someone, let me know how it worked out!
    Last edited by jerseygirl07067; 03-21-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

I believe it totally depends on your vent path as to whether or not this is a DIY project.

There is NO WAY DH and I could replace our entire dryer vent as it goes through several walls and does a 90 degree turn in between the floor and ceiling in our basement bathroom.

If it is a short path and easily accessible (you can see most or all of the vent piping) you can probably do it yourself.

Incidentally, I've been thinking about this recently...so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

Went on Angie's List and found someone highly recommended. I called today, he can come out this week and it's only $75. He starts inside the house, cleans out the back of the dryer, blows lint out through to the outside wall, then goes up on the roof and cleans it out from there (if that is where your vent goes). Our path is way too long for a DIY project. DH cleaned it partially last year, but I know it wasn't enough. I'm willing to spend the $75 to get it done in 20-30 minutes vs a long project for DH that may not be effective. Time and peace of mind are worth a little money sometimes. Not only that, my extremely long drying times make me wonder if this is where the problem lies. I'll find out after the cleaning. If it works, the lower power bill will be well worth it!

Hey Marcy! I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck with the guy!

IMHE, the two places that are the worst clogging offenders are
    1) immediately in the dryer. I take off the internal screen with a screwdriver and clean with a long brush (from Lowe's) about twice/year.
    2) at the vent end-point. I have a screen on it that's easy to take off and clean, and I do this about once/week.

But mine is a short line. I can't imagine going out on a roof; you definitely made a smart choice!

GL and let us know what he did.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast